Himalayan Odyssey to kickoff SaturdayJune 12th, 2009 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Imbued with the spirit of adventure, 50 motorcyclists are all set to conquer the 18,350-feet Khardung La - the world’s highest motorable mountain pass - riding their Royal Enfield bikes over treacherous Himalayan roads in a 15-day odyssey beginning Saturday.
The flag off will take place at 7 a.m. from India Gate and the bikers will be accompanied by a team of mechanics, service engineers and a doctor to assure a safe and smooth journey.
The bikers will cover some 2,500 km including exhilarating places like Khardung La (18,350 feet above mean sea level), Keylong, Sarchu and Tso Kar.
The participants belong to Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Coimbatore, Varanasi, Panchkula, Gurgaon and Noida, among others.
Besides, there are three participants from UAE, one Frenchman and another Russian who is currently residing in Chennai for some official work.
Frenchman Fredric Girot, who has been in Chennai for 18 months, made sure he registered on time this year after being unable to do so last year.
“I have been riding bikes for almost 25 years. I am a complete bike person and in this trip I want to enjoy the ride through a picturesque environment,” 47-year-old Girot told IANS.
- 'Himalayan Odyssey' bike rally kicks off from New Delhi - Jun 19, 2010
- The men, their machines and the mountains - a Himalayan odyssey (With Images) - Jul 02, 2009
- In the mountains with a few good men and their bikes (First-Hand) - Jul 09, 2009
- 65 bikers roar off on Himalayan odyssey - Jun 23, 2012
- Bikes revved up, they're set for Himalayan Odyssey - May 18, 2009
- Fast but not so furious - 'Bikernis' hit road (Feature, With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- Pack your bags, rev up bikes, India's northeast beckons (With Images) (IANS Travel) - Jul 18, 2010
- Delhi to Leh Himalayan bike rally flagged off in New Delhi - Jun 13, 2009
- Rajasthan, through a rider's goggles - Sep 04, 2009
- Under twinkling sky, bike through Rann of Kutch marshlands (IANS Travel) - Feb 17, 2010
- No problems with Sanjay: RGV (Movie Snippets) - Oct 21, 2011
- Scale the heights of adventure with 'Himalayan Odyssey' - Mar 28, 2009
- 60 bikers rev off on Himalayan expedition - Jun 13, 2009
- Himalayan bike rally flagged off - Jun 28, 2008
- Six-time 'Raid' winner in top gear again - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: bangalore, bikers, fredric, frenchman, girot, gurgaon, india gate, kickoff, mechanics service, motorcyclists, noida, picturesque environment, riding bikes, royal enfield, sea level, service engineers, smooth journey, spirit of adventure, three participants, tso