Here’s what makes wealthy people unhappyMarch 23rd, 2011 - 6:45 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 23 (ANI): A survey on the miseries that wealthy people go through has found that most are worried about appearing ungrateful, rearing bratty children and failing to meet expectations.
The survey titled ‘Joys and Dilemma of Wealth’ by Boston College, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Calibre Wealth Management found wealthy people are unhappy.
The report, obtained by The Atlantic, gives a glimpse of the wealth and fulfilment level of 160 households, of which 120 had amassed fortunes of at least 25 million dollars.
“Being very poor is very miserable. But it turns out money doesn’t buy as much happiness as people think it would buy,” ABC News quoted Dan Ariely, a professor at Duke University, as saying.
Experts say it is not the Screaming Eagle, one of the world’s most expensive wines, or the Greubel Forsey Invention Piece 2 that bring the most joy, but knowing how to do good with your money.
“One reason money might not provide as much happiness is because people might not spend it right,” Elizabeth Dunn, who conducts research on happiness, said.
“We find that people get more happiness by spending money on others,” she stated.
Graema Wood wrote in The Atlantic that the truly wealthy know that appetites for material indulgence are rarely sated.
“No yacht is so super, nor any wine so expensive, that it can soothe the soul or guarantee one’s children won’t grow up to be creeps,” Wood added. (ANI)
- Crime, taxes may force many Britons to leave - Apr 16, 2012
- Happiness comes with a price tag of $40K - Jul 31, 2010
- Some millionaires do not feel wealthy: Fidelity survey - Mar 15, 2011
- Kudos to 38 US Billionaires who have promised to at least give half of their wealth away - Oct 21, 2010
- Most wine drinkers can't tell the cheap from expensive - Apr 14, 2011
- Beauty can buy both money and happiness - Apr 01, 2011
- Money doesn't make you look good: Osbourne - Jul 19, 2012
- Women prefer moving out with friends than husband - Oct 22, 2011
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) (Lead, correcting spelling) - Jul 23, 2012
- Tiny tots are happy giving treats to others - Jun 20, 2012
- Most lottery winners choose to save money than squander it - Mar 01, 2011
- Shanghai - a city with 132,000 millionaires - May 13, 2011
- Jakarta's poor spend more on cigarettes - Jan 04, 2012
- Migration 'does not bring happiness' - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: abc news, appetites, bill and melinda, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, boston college, calibre, duke university, eagle one, elizabeth dunn, fortunes, fulfilment, glimpse, greubel forsey, indulgence, melinda gates foundation, miseries, screaming eagle, spending money, wealth management