Heavy security at Kurukshetra ahead of Fridays solar eclipseJuly 31st, 2008 - 1:14 pm ICT by ANI
Kurukshetra (Haryana), July 31 (ANI): Security has been beefed up in Kurukshetra ahead of a fair to be held on Friday to mark the Solar eclipse.
Haryana Government sources said this precautionary step is being taken in the wake of the damage caused to life and property by the serial blasts in Bangalore and Ahmedabad.
Nearly 1.5 million pilgrims are expected to attend the solar eclipse tommorow.
According to Hindu mythology, whosoever takes a dip in the tanks here on the solar eclipse day, is freed from all his sins and attains salvation.
The sprawling Brahm Sarovar, or Kurukshetra tank as it is locally known, is one of the main centres of interest for the pilgrims. The tank has a surface area of 3.5 km and several lakh people can take a dip at a time in the holy tank.
Pilgrims first bathe in the Sannehit tank at the time of the eclipse. The Sannehit tank is much smaller than the Brahm Sarovar.
It is believed that all the holy waters of India flow into the Kurukshetra tank at the time of an eclipse. It is said that those who visit this area, reside here, take bath in the tanks here, or die in Kurukshetra go to heaven after death. The Mahabharata states that one who dies at Kurukshetra attains salvation.
A total eclipse of the sun will occur on afternoon of August 1, and it will be visible as a partial eclipse throughout India. (ANI)
- Haryana expecting 10 lakh pilgrims during solar eclipse - Jan 14, 2010
- Rs.60 mn Lord Krishna statue planned at Kurukshetra - Jun 23, 2011
- Millions throng to Kurukshetra for holy dip during solar eclipse - Jul 22, 2009
- Arya Babbar turns comic book writer - Sep 23, 2010
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Tens of thousands of Bangladeshi Hindus take holy bath - Apr 11, 2011
- Thousands of siblings take holy dip in Yamuna - Oct 28, 2011
- Haridwar overflows with pilgrims on last day of Maha Kumbh - Apr 28, 2010
- Hindus in Bangladesh take holy dip in Brahmaputra (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Annual monsoon festival at Gaya's Mahabodhi Temple attracts Hindu pilgrims - Aug 13, 2010
- Over five lakh pilgrims take holy dip at Gangasagar - Jan 15, 2011
- Hooda takes holy dip in Kurukshetra tank during solar eclipse - Aug 01, 2008
- Pilgrims bathe in Sangam to ward off lunar eclipse impact - Jan 01, 2010
- Rainbow shades of faith on the banks of the Ganga - Jan 14, 2010
- Millions throng Goverdhan for annual pilgrimage - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: 5 million, august 1, bangalore, brahm, eclipse of the sun, fridays, government sources, haryana, heavy security, hindu mythology, holy waters, kurukshetra, partial eclipse, pilgrims, precautionary step, sarovar, serial blasts, solar eclipse, surface area, total eclipse of the sun