Handwoven Swarovski work dominates Akaaro’s showFebruary 16th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Swarovski crystals handwoven on outfits dominated the collection of designer Gaurav Jai Gupta at the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) Thursday.
“I have worked with Swarovski crystal before but this is the first time I have introduced such technique where Swarovski crystals are handwoven in fabrics like cotton, mohair, angora and silk using age old traditional weaving technique,” Gupta told IANS.
The collection was inspired from American director Godfrey Reggio’s 1982 experimental documentary film called “Koyaanissqaitsi” which in Hopi language means “life of moral corruption and turmoil”. Hopi is a language mostly spoken in northeastern US.
The silhouette varies from dresses, jump suits, shirts, jackets to high waisted trousers in colours like deep blue, purple, black, grey, red and green.
According to the designer, who showcased the collection under his label Akaaro, the highpoint of his designs were the hand-woven technique used in the garment.
“For me, this collection is termed as one of the highpoint in my career as it actually gets an approval from the artisans of different cities,” he said.
“Handwoven has a different age altogether now. The price tag starts from Rs.4,800 and goes upto lakhs.
“It is a little expensive but the prices are kept keeping in mind the hard work of the weavers,” he said.
- Ritu Kumar to popularise hand-woven textiles - Feb 03, 2012
- Pam pays tribute to modern women with spring-summer collection (With Image) - Mar 06, 2012
- Kavita Bhartia pays tribute to Indian weavers - Oct 09, 2011
- Gaurav Gupta wins international designer award - Oct 25, 2011
- Preeti Ghai's new collection, a fusion of tradition, trends (With Images) - May 15, 2011
- Fashion conscious? Think neutral hues and khaki - Oct 28, 2010
- Pam Mehta offers Floral Fiesta (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Indira Baikerikar's latest collection an ode to artisans - Jul 15, 2012
- Payal Kapoor to revive Benaras motifs at LFW (With Images) - Jul 20, 2012
- Taj Khazana: Reviving rare but uniquely Indian art and craft (With Images) - Feb 26, 2012
- From huts to high streets: Khadi comes of age (Feature) - Sep 30, 2011
- When India blended with medieval Turkey at WIFW - Feb 17, 2012
- Bibi Russell Promote Bodo Weavers - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Designers don't take undue advantage of weavers' - Apr 24, 2012
- Earth Series launched by ZeMis - Aug 24, 2010
Tags: american director, angora, artisans, documentary film, garment, godfrey reggio, gupta, high waisted trousers, highpoint, india fashion week, jai, jump suits, lakhs, moral corruption, New Delhi, price tag, silhouette, swarovski crystals, wills lifestyle india fashion week, work of the weavers