‘Government must use designers to create cultural identity’August 3rd, 2012 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) The Indian fashion design fraternity needs “complete support” from the government so that they can help in creating more employment opportunities as well as in building a cultural identity for the nation, says capital-based designer Anupama Dayal.
“It’s not been easy to get the complete support from government or from the Ministry (of Textiles),” Dayal told IANS on the sidelines of the opening of her first store here.
“I just want to request government that use us (designers)! We are the perfect bridge to move lot of idle labour in agriculture. We can also ensure not just improving economy and livelihood, but also a cultural identity, which we will even help in maintaining,” she added.
This year, the designer is celebrating a successful stay of eight years in the fashion industry. Her first store at Khan Market encapsulates her love for Indian textiles and craft.
The store, 100 sq. ft in area, displays a collection dominated by Boho designs. From dresses and gowns to skirts, there is everything for everyone in bright multicolours.
But what took her so long to open her first store?
“I don’t know why I took so long. Maybe because we have been supplying throughout the world on a wholesale basis, and we thought opening a store could be bothersome. But now I think the experience (of having a store) is absolutely different. It’s fun to get into store business and I am planning to open many more now,” she said.
The collection displayed at the store is priced between Rs.2,500 and Rs.12,000.
- West on backburner: Designers endorse Indian heritage - Feb 22, 2012
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- A designer reinvents Indian textile heritage, craftsmanship - Feb 19, 2012
- Business at fashion week broke all records: FDCI chief (Review) - Oct 13, 2011
- India a sensory overload: South African crafts designer (With image) - Jan 04, 2012
- Sari as resort wear? Why not, asks designer Anupamaa - Dec 09, 2011
- 'Incredible India' luring fashion world with business sense: Pakistani designer (With Images) - Apr 15, 2012
- Indian is gorgeous, a perfect amalgamation of world culture: Italian designer (Interview) (With Images) - Mar 24, 2012
- Indian designers unfazed by Hermes sari plans - Oct 16, 2011
- India, Pakistan share common roots, culture: Pakistani designer - Jan 07, 2011
- Celebrities grab limelight, designers sidelined: Rohit Bal - Feb 07, 2012
- Designers pen fashion bibles; legacy for younger lot - Jul 20, 2012
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
- Learn while you shop at Armani Junior store (With images) - Sep 08, 2012
- Preeti Desai dazzles in white lehenga choli for Anita Dongre - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,