Government has taken various measures to control inflation: ChidambaramJune 1st, 2008 - 10:10 pm ICT by admin
Puducherry, June 1 (ANI): Finance Minister P Chidambaram said on Sunday that liberalisation of imports, banning exports and a cut in excise and customs duties are among the steps taken by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) Government to control inflation in the country.
He said rising inflation due to the high global price of crude oil, was a cause of concern. “An unprecedented situation is now being witnessed on the price front,” he said.
The government is fully committed to control price rise and suggestions were welcome to inject more measures to keep prices on hold, he said, addressing Congress party workers at the Pradesh Congress Committee (PCC) office on his one-day visit to Puducherry.
He said the economy has grown by nine per cent, which had been “out of bounds” for the erstwhile BJP-led NDA government, and added that the rural poor have gained from several anti-poverty measures initiated by the Government.
He said that initiating the National Rural Employees Guarantee Act (NREGA) was a “sacrosanct step” which could never be disturbed for next two decades or so.
Chidambaram said that the Government’s target to sanction Rs 2.80 lakh crore under farm loans this year would be increased to around Rs three lakh crore.
Waiver of farm loans to benefit 71,680 farmers would be done by this month end. As far as Puducherry is concerned, around 30,800 farmers would benefit from the loan waiver scheme, he added.(ANI)
- Public sector banks to disburse Rs.6 lakh crore farm loans: Chidambaram - Aug 25, 2012
- Facing flak over price-rise remark, Beni now bats for retail FDI (Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Drought-hit Karnataka waives interest on farm loans - Aug 23, 2012
- Agriculture reform at heart of Pranab's budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM - Aug 18, 2012
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Opposition heat on Chidambaram over ice cream remark (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- India continues to face inflation, cause for concern: Mukherjee - Feb 28, 2011
- Minister says price rise helps farmers, draws flak (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Chidambaram says he did not mock middle class on price rise - Jul 11, 2012
- Northeast farmers unaware about crop insurance: Expert - Feb 06, 2012
- Bengal heading towards food scarcity: Buddhadeb - Feb 19, 2012
- Rajasthan launches interest-free loan for farmers - Jul 22, 2012
- Budget promises more money for all - farmers to corporates (Third Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: congress committee, congress party, crore, customs duties, erstwhile, excise and customs, farm loans, farmers, finance minister, global price, inflation, nrega, p chidambaram, pcc, poverty measures, price of crude oil, progressive alliance, puducherry, target, unprecedented situation