Goa University to have Mario Miranda, Anthony Gonsalves chairsMay 3rd, 2012 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, May 3 (IANS) Legendary cartoonist Mario Miranda and Bollywood music composer Anthony Gonsalves, both natives of Goa, have been honoured posthumously with the establishment of two chairs in their names in Goa University.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar Thursday handed over a grant of Rs.45 lakh to the university’s vice chancellor, Dr. Dilip Deobagkar, to establish the two Chairs — one for research in fine arts, painting and illustrative cartooning (the Mario Miranda Chair) and another for research in Western music (the Anthony Gonsalves Chair).
The grant is also for the establishment of a third chair to honour Goan devotional singer Nana Shirgaonkar.
“These chairs have been established to honour the great sons of the soil. It was a part of the promise made by me in this year’s budget,” Parrikar said.
- Compassionate man with wicked humour, say Mario's friends, fans - Dec 11, 2011
- Mario Miranda, a chronicler of his times (Obituary) - Dec 11, 2011
- At 85, cartoonist Mario Miranda exits life's canvas - Dec 11, 2011
- India, Spain share a laugh over cartoons (With Images) - Jun 24, 2012
- No one quite like Mario, say Goan artists - Dec 12, 2011
- Mario Miranda's favourite fort returns to life - Jun 05, 2012
- 936 from St. Andre opted for Portuguese citizenship - Jul 21, 2012
- The real 'Anthony Gonsalves' no more - Jan 19, 2012
- Big B mourns death of Anthony Gonsalves - Jan 19, 2012
- Goa University to have chair on Indian diaspora studies - Jul 05, 2011
- Mario Miranda was a quintessential Goan: Shyam Benegal - Dec 11, 2011
- Mario was to inaugurate fort on Goa liberation day - Dec 11, 2011
- Governor expresses grief over Mario Miranda's death - Dec 11, 2011
- Pratibha Patil to be awarded doctorate by Goa University - Nov 21, 2009
- Western Ghats being handed over to mining barons: Goa's green campaigner - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: budget, cartoonist, chief minister, dilip, fine arts painting, goa university, gonsalves, honour, lakh, manohar parrikar, mario, miranda, music composer, nana, natives, soil, two chairs, vice chancellor, western music