Go for jackets, dark colours this winterNovember 11th, 2010 - 11:34 am ICT by IANS
By Rishabh Nair
New Delhi, Nov 11 (IANS) As winter knocks on the door and fashionistas gear up to revamp their wardrobes, here’s what’s cool. To start with, designers say jackets and dark shades are a must for everyone this season and women can give leggings a break!
“Men should wear short sherwanis and short jackets with trousers and they can accessorise with shawls,” designer Vijay Arora told IANS. “As for women, they can team up saris with jackets. They should wear dark shades like midnight blue, wine and plum this winter.”
Jai of the duo Parvesh-Jai said: “Long jackets are really in. We are exporting them in shades of brown, black and beige. Mid-dress length jackets, which are like sherwanis but fit like a blazer, are really in for men. For women, saris, silhouettes and anarkali suits with lots of flairs are back in a big way.”
Stylist Priyanka Modi too asserts jackets for every wardrobe.
“Jackets have become a winter staple and customers have started experimenting with newer designs and silhouettes,” she said.
While talking of new trends, one cannot ignore fashion-conscious college students. Jai feels youngsters should go for bright shades this season.
“College students should experiment with colours because this is the time in life best suited for that. Guys should wear funky shirts and they can buy clothes cheap from markets like Sarojini Nagar,” Jai said.
Parvesh said: “Sweaters teamed up with half sleeve shirts or even full sleeve shirts and mufflers are going to be hot.”
As far as girls are concerned, he feels they should give their leggings a break this winter and try other things.
“Girls always wear leggings during winters, I think this time bell bottoms or something like that can be used to get a retro look,” he said.
While dressing up both style and comfort are important. “It’s a myth that fashion can’t be comfortable. Most people are comfortable wearing silhouettes that are flattering and don’t make them stand out like a circus clown,” Modi said.
Arora seconds her stand, saying: “Yes, of course, it is possible one can wear suits if the dress code demands that. And if it is a casual Friday, one can team up a nice jacket with a pair of jeans. It all depends on where you’re going.”
For evenings, Modi suggests women should go for dresses with coordinated stockings and blouses; and shirts in pale colours with draped pants. She says men can make a style statement by wearing sweaters, cardigans in subtle colours, with well-fitted shirts and mufflers.
Talking about the colours, both Modi and Parvesh feel dark shades will play an important role in defining one’s look.
“Colours play a very important role this winter, browns, juicy purples and blues. In the day, you combine pale pinks with greys,” Modi said.
Parvesh said: “The colours that are in this season are pink, black, purple and green, guys can wear checkered mufflers while women can wear scarves and gloves.”
(Rishabh Nair can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 'Fly me to the moon', says Narendra Kumar through LFW show - Aug 19, 2011
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Mom-to-be, that maxi dress is for you (With Images) - May 05, 2011
- Long or colourful, Delhi re-discovers the overcoat! - Jan 11, 2011
- High on creativity, Gen Next designers open LFW (With Images) - Aug 17, 2011
- Men’s Wear: The Basic Must Haves In A Man’s Wardrobe - Jan 07, 2011
- Chronicle of fashion foretold: Orange for winter - Apr 19, 2011
- Turn on unisex fashion this winter - Nov 24, 2011
- Off with little black dress! Trousers are in - Jul 18, 2011
- Key to fashion statement is figuring out body type - Sep 21, 2010
- Summer corporate wear? Try Peter Pan collar or shirtdress (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- Winter of discontent for brides? No way, say designers (With Images) - Jan 03, 2012
- Fusion wear, light hues hot this Diwali - Nov 03, 2010
- Sonakshi Sinha wants a simple, beach wedding - Sep 14, 2012
- New Puja wardrobe: Jeggings, maxis, gowns - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: bell bottoms, blue wine, bright shades, dark shades, jai, leggings, mufflers, nair, new trends, retro look, rishabh, saris, sarojini nagar, shades of brown, shawls, sherwanis, silhouettes, sleeve shirts, vijay arora, wardrobes