‘Global brands can generate jobs in India’ (With Image)May 21st, 2012 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) International brands can generate job opportunities if their entry into India is facilitated, says Montblanc, a century-old German company known for its timeless luxury pens, watches, eyewear, leather goods and fashion accessories.
“For an international brand, the Indian market is extremely strong. It is a developing and emerging market and I believe it will continue to grow,” Karl Handke, Montblanc’s president for the western hemisphere, told IANS.
“One of the main problems a brand faces while retailing in India is the laws, duties and taxes. The import duty on luxury goods is high, making it difficult for international brands to enter India. If more international brands enter India, it will only be beneficial for the country since it will provide for more employment opportunities,” he added.
Hadke handles sales and marketing for the brand in Europe, North and South America, Africa, the Middle East and India.
He was here to launch the brand’s Grace De Monaco collection, which includes limited-edition jewellery, writing instruments and time pieces for women.
The brand has a presence in 10 cities - including New Delhi, Mumbai and Ludhiana - and is definitely looking for expansion. However, the restricted number of luxury malls is hindering the expansion plans.
“We are definitely looking to expand our retail network extensively…. India, as compared to other countries, yet has few luxury malls and no high streets like Madison Avenue or a Barneys (in New York); so this, of course, limits our expansion,” the 61-year-old Hadke said.
“But we are looking at tier-two cities with wealthy and cultured people. We are also opening boutiques at airports, starting with Hyderabad. At the moment our priority is Calcutta (Kolkata) where we do not have a stand-alone Montblanc boutique. We are planning more stores in New Delhi,” Handke added.
The brand, which started producing writing instrument 100 years ago, is now also into watches, leather goods and accessories. Handke says expansion notwithstanding, they never compromised on brand’s aesthetics.
“We have never compromised in terms of brand value from the past to present. Even while venturing into new categories, we carefully selected the product segments which we wanted to occupy and made sure that they are in line with the brands DNA,” he said.
“Today Montblanc is a luxury mason, which helps cultured people to express their lifestyle through beautiful products,” he added.
Any plans to foray into apparel?
“No, we do not wish to foray into apparel… Clothes are something which are in fashion today and outdated tomorrow. We believe in creating products which are timeless and classic. Our products are family heritage and clothes can never be that,” Handke concluded.
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Indian menswear brands holding own against international labels - Aug 06, 2012
- Time is right for luxury watches in India, but no place - Sep 01, 2010
- Kidswear market boon for Indian economy: Designer Rocky S (With Image) - Jan 14, 2012
- 'Big brands don't necessarily make big money' (With Images) - Aug 01, 2012
- Patna emerging luxe centre in eastern India - Sep 12, 2011
- Shirts, jackets, sofa covers sell in name of F1 - Oct 26, 2011
- Van Heusen Renews Partnership With Atlas For Leather Accessories - Aug 02, 2010
- Tata Housing launches GoodLife pan-India retail brand - Mar 13, 2012
- Kidswear spells big business in India - Nov 17, 2011
- Designerwear show affecting local business in Goa? - Dec 10, 2011
- Corporate backing must for fashion brands: Designers - Apr 04, 2012
- Now an event solely dedicated to footwear - Mar 07, 2012
- Learn while you shop at Armani Junior store (With images) - Sep 08, 2012
- Beyond designing, Ritu Beri eyes lifestyle space - Aug 02, 2012
- Will not use the Mahatma's picture commercially: Montblanc - May 03, 2010
Tags: barneys, duties and taxes, emerging market, fashion accessories, german company, global brands, grace de monaco, handke, high streets, import duty, international brands, jobs in india, ludhiana, luxury goods, madison avenue, retail network, retailing in india, time pieces, western hemisphere, writing instrument