Gaurang wins best designer awardAugust 14th, 2012 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 14 (IANS) Hyderabad-based fashion sesigner Gaurang Shah has won the best designer award for utilization of Indian weaves and craftsmanship at the Lakme Fashion Week in Mumbai.
The designer presented his kanjeevarams with kalamkari - ‘Ardhangini’ creations on India Textile Day Aug 5.
The 23 dresses he presented were a mix of beautiful saris, anarkalis and ghagras, appealing to the modern bride with prominent colors of saffron, yellow, orange, red and pink.
Inspired by the Panchantantra stories, the beauty of 1950 and 1960s Kanjeevarams, Kalamkari and Zardosi, his creations highlighted the intricate Korvai weaving known for its grace and elegance.
“I am delighted to have won this award, which highlights the excellence of Indian handloom and Indian tradition in fashion. I would like to dedicate this award to my family for their support and to the 450 weavers who bring life to my creativity,” Gaurang said.
The jury panel included fashion experts Krishna Mehta, Jaya Jaitly, Anjana Sharma and Maximiliano Modesti. Gaurang will get a prize of Rs.1 lakh to support and encourage his talent.
- LFW Winter-Festive puts spotlight on new talents, Indian weaves (Curtain-raiser ) - Aug 01, 2012
- 86 designers to showcase at LFW Winter fest - Jul 11, 2012
- Kirron walks the ramp, adds film flavour (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
- Lakme Fashion Week to pay tribute to Indian textiles - Feb 29, 2012
- Ritu Kumar brings royalty on ramp with Sharmila, Soha - Dec 04, 2010
- Hema, Esha add glamour at Lakme Fashion Week - Aug 19, 2011
- Oprah to don green Sabyasachi sari in Jaipur - Jan 20, 2012
- Jaya Rathore explores heritage weaves for bridal line (With images) - Aug 18, 2011
- Dimple Kapadia is our silent muse: Sandeep Khosla - Aug 18, 2012
- Designer Gaurang Shah teams with 250 weavers to revive handlooms (With Image) - Jun 24, 2012
- Parna Ghose goes to NY Couture Fashion Week - Sep 06, 2012
- It's fun designing Genelia's wedding trousseau: Ritu Kumar (With Images) - Feb 01, 2012
- Sonakshi walks ramp for J.J. Valaya at LFW - Mar 06, 2012
- Drape that Kanjeevaram, Benarasi this Diwali - Oct 20, 2011
- Rahul Mishra named best womenswear designer - May 08, 2012
Tags: 1960s, anjana, craftsmanship, fashion experts, fashion week in mumbai, handloom, india textile, indian tradition, jaya jaitly, jury panel, krishna mehta, lakh, lakme fashion week, maximiliano, modern bride, modesti, rs 1, saffron, weavers, weaves