Garden of Shimla’s heritage hotel caves inJune 19th, 2012 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 19 (IANS) The boundary wall and the garden of a hotel, a 1898 heritage building in the Himachal Pradesh capital, caved in early Tuesday because of an ongoing construction work in its vicinity, an official said here.
The boundary wall and the garden of the Oberoi Group’s Clarke’s Hotel, a prominent landmark on the Mall Road, has collapsed but there was no immediate threat to the hotel building foundation, a government official told IANS.
Official sources said a major portion of the road, running next to the hotel garden, has also been damaged.
The trouble started last month when the construction of lawyers’ chambers of the Himachal Pradesh High Court began in the vicinity of the hotel. At that time huge cracks appeared on the boundary walls of the hotel and on the road.
The hotel came into existence in 1898.
- Landslip threat forces Shimla's heritage hotel to close - Jul 16, 2012
- Threat to heritage hotel stops construction work in Shimla - Jul 20, 2012
- Nod for official audit of Shimla's prized Wildflower Hall - Jul 15, 2011
- Shimla's historic Ridge develops cracks (With Image) - Aug 28, 2010
- Shimla's Wildflower Hall hotel to face special audit - Jun 29, 2011
- Shimla's historic Ridge again caves in - Sep 05, 2010
- Shimla's historic Ridge portion again caves in - Jul 13, 2011
- Shimla's 98 percent buildings unsafe: Minister - Sep 19, 2011
- Environment notice to Wildflower Hall stayed - May 29, 2010
- Himachal issues notice to Oberoi's Wildflower Hall - May 23, 2010
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate - Aug 21, 2012
- Schoolchildren's death: Himachal to conduct surveys - Feb 08, 2011
- Sri Lankan president tours Shimla - Jun 10, 2010
- Himachal Chief Minister unveils 'Har Ghar Kuchh Kehta Hai' coffee table book - Sep 02, 2010
- Shimla's green belts in peril - Apr 28, 2012
Tags: boundary wall, boundary walls, caves, chambers, construction work, cracks, early tuesday, existence, government official, heritage hotel, himachal pradesh, hotel building, hotel garden, landmark, lawyers, oberoi group, ongoing construction, shimla, vicinity