Foundation laid for Angkor Wat-replica in BiharJune 21st, 2012 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 21 (IANS) The foundation laying ceremony for an Indian replica of Cambodia’s world-famous Angkor Wat temple was conducted in Bihar’s West Champaran district Thursday, organisers said.
Hindu priests from Varanasi were called to offer prayers at the function, said Acharya Kishore Kunal, secretary of Mahavir Mandir Trust that is building the temple complex.
The complex would come up in about 100 acres at a cost of Rs.600 crore, he added.
Kishore Kunal said the temple’s construction plan has been revised and it would be bigger than the 12th century temple in Cambodia, considered by some as the largest Hindu temple complex in the world.
Angkor Wat was built during Hindu king Suryavarman’s rule and is today a Unesco World Heritage site.
The proposed ‘Virat Angkor Wat Ram Mandir’ in Bihar will have idols of Radha-Krishna, Shiva-Parvati, Ganesh, Surya, Vishnu and Dashavataram - the 10 incarnations of Vishnu, Kishore Kunal said.
It will be designed by a temple architect from Ahmedabad, Piyush Sompura.
The five-storey — 270 feet tall, 2,800 feet long and 1,500 feet wide — structure will be one of the tallest temples in the world, said Sompura, who will also raise funds for the project from India and abroad.
“We have already collected Rs.200 crore and the remaining amount is expected to come as donations from people,” he said.
- Angkor Wat replica to come up in Bihar - May 13, 2012
- World's largest Hindu temple to come up in Bihar - Mar 05, 2012
- Angkor Vat replica to come up in Bihar - Mar 29, 2012
- President Patil mesmerized by Angkor Wat, advocates cultural exchange - Sep 17, 2010
- Cambodia appeals Hindus for help to safeguard landmark Preah Vihear Shiva temple - Mar 05, 2011
- Hindus upset at damage to landmark Hindu temple by Thai-Cambodian clashes - Feb 07, 2011
- Hindus want disputed Thai-Cambodia Hindu Shiva temple be transferred to UN control - Feb 06, 2011
- Four gopuras of landmark Shiva temple on Thai-Cambodia border damaged: Hindus concerned - Feb 09, 2011
- Hindus ask ASEAN to save Shiva temple from further damage in Thai-Cambodia clash - Feb 08, 2011
- China finances restoration of historic Shiva temple in Cambodia - Nov 29, 2010
- 70-year-old Briton held for molesting Cambodian boys - Jan 29, 2012
- 'Angelina Jolie Temple' in world-famous Angkor temple complex in Cambodia? - Nov 24, 2010
- Go shrine seeing, prison strolling in Cambodia - Sep 13, 2011
- Six Hindu temples nominated for World Heritage List - Dec 18, 2010
- Hindus laud British Museum for extensive Hindu collection - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: 12th century, angkor wat, angkor wat temple, bihar, champaran, construction plan, ganesh, hindu priests, hindu temple, incarnations of vishnu, king suryavarman, patna, piyush, radha krishna, ram mandir, shiva parvati, surya, unesco world heritage, unesco world heritage site, world heritage site