For adventurous holiday, head for Kikar Lodge (With Images, Feature)January 6th, 2012 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
Ropar (Punjab), Jan 6 (IANS) How about a getaway in the lap of nature, with adrenalin-pumping adventure sports thrown in? Kikar Lodge in a forested part of northern Punjab may be just the place.
After two hours of an exhausting bumpy road ride from Chandigarh, 70 km away, when visitors enter the lodge nestled in the Shivalik foothills in Ropar district, their discomfort and body aches vanish thanks to the beauty of the place.
“The Kikar Lodge being India’s first private forest reserve, we wanted to provide the guest with all the facilities possible under one roof or in one area. The idea was to provide the guest all the desired activities so that they do not get bored while staying with us,” The Kikar Lodge CEO Amrinder Singh Chopra told IANS.
The best time to reach is around breakfast and line up the activities one wants to indulge in. If a quad bike ride through the forest on marked trails is fun, a night safari in an open-top gypsy is thrilling.
If that is not enough to satiate the exploratory streak in you, go for rappelling, paint ball, mountain biking and camel safaris or a 30-km hiking trail.
For bird lovers, the property spread over 1,800 acres in Ropar district offers rich possibilities in the lush Ropar wetlands, besides horseback riding.
Chopra said he chose Punjab because the place has always had its share of adventure seekers.
After all the physical activities, you can retire to well-equipped air-conditioned cottages. As many as 30 cottage accommodations are lined up with different views - pool view, lake view and forest view - to choose from. One can also ward off the tiredness at the forest spa.
Visitors can re-charge themselves with the appetising food spread at the private dining area, The Den.
“We have a staff of 72 members who make sure that each and every guest goes back wanting to come back for more,” said Chopra.
“The only drawback is there is no network connectivity. But the surrounding hills, thick with green foliage and the absolute quiet impart a sense of dreamy detachment from the chaos of the city. You don’t miss the ringtones of phones thanks to the overwhelming closeness to nature,” said Shalu Dhawan.
Chopra said: “The demand for luxury resorts has always been there, but to provide the extra zing with adventure and to pamper with the spa has made The Kikar Lodge a great destination for tourists.”
For safe adventure rides, Chopra has tied up with two of India’s finest adventure sports companies, Xtremeways and Flying Fox.
“India is experiencing a huge shift towards adventure sports. In the past, people had seen such activities on TV or experienced it abroad, but now it is available here with international guides and safety guidelines,” Chopra said.
One can plan a trip from October to February and packages range from Rs.14,000 to Rs.18,000 and Chopra is planning to expand the business in other parts of northern India.
2 Nights/3 Days
Deluxe Rooms: Rs.14,000 per couple
Forest View Cottages: Rs.15,000 per couple
Pool View Cottages: Rs.16,000 per couple
Family Suite: Rs.18,000 per couple with 2 kids up to 12 years
How to Reach: Road trip from Chandigarh, 70 km away
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at email@example.com)
- What's muzzling adventure sports in India? (Feature) - Nov 10, 2011
- Quadrush 2010 enthralls participants in Ropar - Nov 28, 2010
- Go kayaking, wall climbing at Indian 'activotel'! (With Images) - Feb 24, 2012
- South Africa: Adventure destination for Indians - Jul 07, 2012
- Discover magic of Rajaji Park's jumbo haven (IANS Travel) (With images) - Mar 26, 2011
- Te Aroha - for hilly holiday with colonial feel (Feature, With Images) - May 10, 2012
- Pine needles fuel business for Himachal villagers - Jul 05, 2012
- Pedal your way to discovering the real India - Jan 09, 2012
- Rishikesh, Ladakh - the new getaway for adventure seekers (With Images) - Jun 23, 2011
- Joy ride on a toy bike that you just can't miss (Features, with Image) - Jul 08, 2011
- Can't wait for 'Jab Tak Hai Jaan': KJo (Movie Snippets) - Sep 12, 2012
- Himachal legislators to get fat salary hike - Apr 05, 2012
- Weekend tourists drive adventure tourism in India (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Bihar has Rs.140 bn unutilized central funds - Jan 27, 2012
- Europe's first green restaurant - a place for adventure lovers (Feature with images) - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: adventure seekers, adventurous holiday, bird lovers, bumpy road, camel safaris, chopra, cottage accommodations, forest reserve, forest view, hiking trail, kikar lodge, marked trails, network connectivity, night safari, paint ball, pool view, private forest, quad bike, rich possibilities, shivalik