‘Feluda’ lends voice to TagoreAugust 25th, 2012 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 25 (IANS) Ace detective “Feluda” dropped his 0.32 Colt revolver to pick up the microphone, lending his baritone voice to English interpretations of Rabindranath Tagore’s songs.
Prolific Bengali actor Sabyasachi Chakrabarty, famed for playing private investigator “Feluda” in the film versions of the novels of Satyajit Ray, directed by Ray’s son Sandip Ray, released an audio compilation of Rabindra Sangeet by Maitreyee Chakraborty.
The English translation of the Tagore lyrics are in Chakrabarty’s rich baritone.
“I have been into audio for a long time. But I have been doing it in Bengali and Hindi. For the first time, I dared to do it in English,” explained the actor who is a well known nature enthusiast and wildlife photographer.
The audio compilation, titled “His Spirit Within” was done with the aim of reaching out to Rabindrasangeet fans who have difficulty in comprehending the Bengali lyrics.
“I don’t know whether people are going to like it or not. It has to meet the approval of people who don’t understand Bangla but who have read Rabindranath Tagore. Would they really get the feel,” asked Chakrabarty.
Chakrabarty also pointed out that Feluda is an ardent fan of Rabindranath Tagore.
The last Feluda film, “Royal Bengal Rahasya”, was released in 2011. Anticipation for the next movie runs high.
- Two-day special UNESCO tribute to Tagore's legacy - Sep 11, 2011
- Revered but not read, is Tagore reserve of the purist? - May 10, 2011
- Ghai to release Ghosh's 'Nouka Dubi' in Hindi - Apr 30, 2011
- I see world through Tagore songs, says sightless singer - May 04, 2011
- Tagore's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - May 08, 2012
- No one in India has Satyajit Ray's 'Sikkim' print: Son - Sep 18, 2010
- New directors, new ideas power Bengali cinema's resurgence - Feb 19, 2012
- For Bengalis, Tagore still the man for all seasons - May 07, 2011
- London poet to make his acting debut in Tagore's play - Feb 10, 2012
- Satyajit Ray was a ruthless director, says son Sandip (Interview) - Apr 01, 2012
- Disney Channel announces TV premiere of Ray's 'Feluda - The Kathmandu Caper' - Dec 24, 2010
- Feluda magic works in spurts in 'Gorosthane Sabdhan' (Bengali Film Review) - Dec 11, 2010
- 'Films on Tagore Stories' put together for 150th birth anniversary - May 04, 2011
- Naseer-Roopa in Usha Uthup's music video - Mar 27, 2012
- Tagore culture carnival keeps capital busy - May 07, 2011
Tags: ace detective, anticipation, ardent fan, baritone voice, bengali, colt revolver, compilation, feluda, film versions, microphone, nature enthusiast, novels, private investigator, rabindranath tagore, rahasya, rich baritone, royal bengal, sandip, sangeet, wildlife photographer