Feeling stressed? Start an activityAugust 17th, 2010 - 10:18 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) Suffering from eating disorder, skin problems, hair fall and drinking - it could be because of stress at work or emotional void and experts suggest that the best thing to get out of the stressful life is to indulge in some activity.
Psychiatrist Sanjay Chugh says stress can lead to unhealthy lifestyle and even depression, so people should try to keep themselves busy in something that gives them pleasure.
“Cultivate a hobby because this will give you pleasure and peace of mind. So while you can keep your worries aside, you will be meeting new people and make friends,” Chugh told IANS.
Options are many - one can take up dance or music classes, join foreign language sessions, watch international movies, read books, take cooking classes, indulge in gardening or may be start teaching poor kids. The idea is to do something that relaxes people.
What is seen in most cases is while women binge during depression, men start drinking.
How we feel on the inside could affect our looks. Studies have proved that professional stress can cause depression and anxiety and can lead to skin, hair or nail problems.
According to Apollo Hospital senior cosmetic surgeon Anup Dhir, stress can manifest itself on one’s appearance in many ways, but primarily it shows on skin.
“Premature aging due to radical load happens in this case. So one should make changes in lifestyle and eat well-balanced meal. No cosmetic surgeon can help you in this case, it has to be from within,” he said.
Pooja Gupta, 28, a software professional, was fed up of her monotonous life - a routine job and limited friend circle. One day she decided to give some time to herself and joined salsa classes. There she made friends and the change in the routine did wonders to her mind.
“What happens when you are not living with your family, you come back home and start talking to walls or else doze off after a heavy day’s work. I was facing the same problem. One day I decided enough is enough. I enrolled for a dance class, made sure that I attend it regularly,” Gupta said.
“It took me some time to get this hobby into my daily routine, but to be very frank, it is a refreshing change. I have new friends who sometimes drop at my place for dance practices; it is fun,” she added.
Some feel exercise too helps in decreasing the release of stress-causing hormones such as cortisol.
Nicholas Kraal, business development manager at the Mumbai-based True Fitness India Pvt Ltd, said: “Physical exercise improves blood circulation and increases blood flow to your brain which can rejuvenate and relax your mind.
“Certain forms of exercise, such as yoga, breathing exercises can relax your tense muscles and free your mind.”
This Mumbai-based fitness centre has also brought to India the popular Bikram hot yoga (a form of yoga done in 40 degress room temperature) that has a cult following in the West; Hollywood A-listers like Madonna and Jennifer Aniston have endorsed it.
So, time for you to discover your interest area, pursue it and live a stress-free life.
- 'Essence of yoga lies in sincerity, not commercialisation' (With Image) - May 11, 2012
- How to keep stress at bay before wedding day - Oct 21, 2010
- How to make that backache vanish - Jul 08, 2011
- Wondering what to gift your sister this Rakhi? - Aug 12, 2011
- Want to get rid of acne? Change your lifestyle - Oct 06, 2010
- Boost your energy with plyometric exercise - Oct 15, 2010
- Music in gyms - motivation or distraction? - Dec 01, 2010
- Bringing your crowning glory back - the Sehwag, Kallis way! - May 11, 2011
- Indian men chase fairness creams - and create a growing market - May 25, 2010
- How to keep your skin glowing during monsoon - Jul 04, 2012
- Sweat, stretch, smile with Bikram Yoga (With Image) - Oct 20, 2010
- How to practice 'safe stress' during the holidays - Nov 14, 2010
- Mindapples - foolproof mood boosting remedy - May 16, 2011
- Beat the summer - sleep well, eat well for glowing skin - Apr 18, 2012
- Bursts of exercise help keep weight off during the holidays - Dec 05, 2010
Tags: apollo hospital, balanced meal, chugh, cooking classes, cosmetic surgeon, friend circle, hair fall, heavy day, language sessions, music classes, nail problems, poor kids, professional stress, routine job, salsa classes, software professional, stress at work, stressful life, talking to walls, unhealthy lifestyle