Feeling angry? Blame the dietMarch 20th, 2011 - 6:07 am ICT by IANS
London, March 20 (IANS) People who diet are more likely to be irritable and angry than those who eat what they like.
The effort involved in exerting self-control over food can lead to aggressive behaviour towards other people, a study has found.
Those on diets are more likely to prefer anger-themed movies, the express.co.uk reported citing the study: The Grapes Of Wrath: The Angry Effects Of Exerting Self-Control.
They were also interested in looking at angry facial expressions, and expressed more irritation at a message that used controlling language to convince them to change their exercise habits, according to the study.
David Gal of Northwestern University and Wendy Liu of the University of California, said: “We set out to examine whether exerting self-control can indeed lead to a wide range of angry behaviours and preferences subsequently, even in situations where such behaviours are quite subtle.”
“Research has shown that exerting self-control makes people more likely to behave aggressively toward others and people on diets are known to be irritable and quick to anger,” said Gal.
Researchers found that people who chose an apple instead of a chocolate bar were more likely to choose movies with anger and revenge themes.
- How going on a diet can provoke anger - Mar 19, 2011
- Self-control can provoke anger - Mar 18, 2011
- Exerting self-control makes people more likely to behave aggressively - Mar 18, 2011
- Religion gives people more self-control - Jan 25, 2012
- Scan reveals what brain looks like when you are angry - Jun 19, 2012
- Misplaced motivation could bring on failures - Mar 15, 2012
- Eating wisely calls for self-control: Study - Sep 12, 2012
- Talking to yourself is good, say scientists - Sep 24, 2010
- Self-control is contagious - Jan 14, 2010
- Self-control prompts others to follow you - Jan 14, 2010
- Watching TV re-runs restores your personal drive - Sep 07, 2012
- Self-control could turn toddlers into healthier and wealthier adults: Study - Jan 25, 2011
- Scherzinger's crazy night ideas! - Dec 17, 2011
- Attentiveness in KG key to work-oriented skills - Jan 30, 2012
- Can resisting cravings and desires be fun? - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,