Feasting, fervour mark Onam in DelhiAugust 29th, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 29 (IANS) Spruced up homes, colourful floral designs and delicacies on the platter - the Malayali community in the national capital celebrated Onam with feasting and fervour here Wednesday.
There are over two lakh Malayalis in the National Capital Region. The highlight of this harvest festival is the traditional 27-course “sadhya” (feast).
“The preparations begin days before Onam. There is vegetable curry, sweet payasam and various other delicacies,” said Gayathri Srinivasan, a resident of Mayur Vihar in east Delhi.
The dishes are served on a banana leaf in the traditional way. To herald the new season, courtyards are graced with colourful “pookalams” or floral designs.
On Onam it is widely believed that Kerala’s mythological king Mahabali, known for his benevolence, comes to visit his people and ensure their well-being and prosperity.
Malayali cultural bodies and community associations in the city had begun the festivities a few days ago, holding elaborate traditional feasts, “pookalam” competitions and music concerts.
Onam falls in the month of Chingam, the first month of the Malayalam calendar. Thiruvonam, the most important day in the Onam calendar, falls Aug 29.
The Onam week began Aug 26 and ends Aug 31.
- Prayers, flowers and feasts - Kerala celebrates Onam - Aug 23, 2010
- Feasts, shows, shopping - it's Onam time in Kerala - Aug 19, 2010
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- People celebrate Onam across Kerala - Aug 23, 2010
- It's Onam , but few homes will do the full 26-dish sadhya - Aug 24, 2012
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
- Pookalam contest in Delhi to mark Onam - Aug 19, 2012
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Delhi welcomes Onam with Pookalam - Sep 04, 2011
- Zed greets Malayalees on Onam - Aug 09, 2010
- President greets nation ahead of Onam - Sep 01, 2009
- Happy Onam, tweets B-town - Aug 29, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Onam - Sep 08, 2011
- Onam spread of spicy dishes goes online - Aug 20, 2010
- Kerala to honour actor Kamal Haasan - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: banana leaf, benevolence, community associations, courtyards, delicacies, dishes, east delhi, feast, festivities, floral designs, harvest festival, kerala, music concerts, mythological king, New Delhi, onam, payasam, prosperity, traditional feasts, vegetable curry