Fahimuddin Dagar, golden voice of Dhrupad, falls silentJuly 29th, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) A golden voice of Indian classical music has fallen silent with the death of Ustad Rahim Fahimudddin Dagar, a doyen of the Dhrupad school who was said to be a descendent of legendary Mughal musician Tansen’s guru. He was 84.
Dagar died here Wednesday night after battling a long illness at a private hospital, dealing a blow to one of India’s oldest musical ‘gharanas’ that he and his illustrious clan were instrumental in taking to younger audiences across the country and abroad.
Dagar had been admitted to hospital April 23 after a paralytic attack.
The vocalist was a senior exponent of the Dagar Vani Dhrupad school of music. He kept the historic legacy of dhrupad alive with unforgettable performances spanning more than the last six decades.
Dagar is survived by a wife and a daughter.
He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 2008 and was honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Ratna Puraskar in 2010. He was born in Alwar, Rajasthan, in 1927.
- Fahimuddin Dagar's death ends chapter in Indian music (Obituary) - Jul 29, 2011
- Vocalist Girija Devi conferred Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowship - Jul 22, 2011
- 33 young artists honoured with Akademi award - Mar 07, 2012
- Gharanas may not retain their identity: Pandit Rajan Mishra - Nov 25, 2011
- Bhimsen Joshi passes away, country mourns death of its 'ratna' (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- President Patil condoles death of vocalist Gangubai Hangal - Jul 21, 2009
- Karnataka institutes award in memory of Bhimsen Joshi - Feb 25, 2011
- Indian Celebrities Express Their Reverence For The Deceased Musical Maestro, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 25, 2011
- Let the music play: 136 years for Jalandhar fest - Dec 20, 2011
- 33 young artists honoured with Bismillah award - Aug 11, 2010
- President, Vice President condole demise of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Sarangi maestro Sultan Khan passes away (Lead) - Nov 27, 2011
- Reliving the music and memories of Mallikarjun Mansur - Sep 26, 2010
- PM condoles demise of vocalist Bhimsen Joshi - Jan 24, 2011
- Classical vocalist Gangubai Hangal passes away - Jul 21, 2009
Tags: audiences, dhrupad, doyen, exponent, golden voice, guru, India, indian classical music, legacy, musician, natak, New Delhi, padma bhushan, private hospital, rajasthan, school of music, six decades, vocalist, wednesday night