Facebook users with friend-list of hundreds have only few ”true” friendsMarch 3rd, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 3 (ANI): One can boast of hundreds of friends on his or her Facebook profile, but that doesnt mean that the persons social calendar is brimming with engagements, because in reality the number of true friends is significantly lower than what the websites users think.
A new study has found that despite having hundreds of ”Facebook friends, a person regularly keeps in contact with only a few of them.
According to the Daily Mail, men who have 500 online friends regularly keep in touch with ten of them, while the number for women is sixteen.
Men with 120 friends on Facebook only keep in regular contact with four, while women stay in touch with only six.
Humans may be advertising themselves more efficiently. But they still have the same small circles of intimacy as ever, the New York Daily News quoted the Economist as saying.
And the other lot of friends in a person’’s Facebook network are usually only acquaintances.
Thus, despite of having many more acquaintances than older generations, the Facebook generations core group of ”true” friends is about the same size.
Experts have claimed that Facebook users and members of other social networking sites are merely broadcasting their lives to an outer tier of acquaintances, rather than making true relationships. (ANI)
- Facebook: India is second fastest growing market - Feb 05, 2012
- Social networking 'leads to sex faster' - Jan 25, 2011
- Facebook couples 'end up in bed quicker' - Jan 27, 2011
- Google now restricts Facebook access to Gmail contacts - Nov 06, 2010
- Monster India launches professional networking application for Facebook - Oct 04, 2011
- Study reveals that 1 in 3 Facebook users are getting bored with the site - Jun 08, 2012
- Facebook generation of 16 to 24-year-olds 'loneliest of all age-groups' - Nov 02, 2010
- Facebook generates feel good factor - Jun 27, 2012
- Young Brits prefer Facebook for staying in touch - Sep 17, 2011
- Number of Facebook friends linked to grey matter - Oct 19, 2011
- Now, access Facebook on your mobile phone at the touch of a button! - Feb 16, 2011
- 12pc of pooches with Facebook profiles have more friends than you do - Mar 09, 2011
- Facebook to look into face recognition software's security concerns - Jul 27, 2011
- Furor over Facebook's dislike button - Oct 03, 2011
- Facebook strengthening our social ties: Study - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: acquaintances, core group, daily mail, economist, engagements, facebook friends, generations, intimacy, new york daily news, sixteen men, small circles, social calendar, social networking sites, true friends, true relationships, websites users, york daily news