Facebook generation of 16 to 24-year-olds ‘loneliest of all age-groups’November 2nd, 2010 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Nov 2 (ANI): A new research has revealed that despite thousands of friends online, the Facebook generation is the loneliest of all age-groups.
Britain’s 16 to 24-year-olds - the so-called Facebook generation - are lonelier than any other age group, researchers found yesterday.
One in three said they were bored with their lives and 28 per cent complained that loneliness was making them unhappy.
More than a quarter revealed they turned to alcohol for comfort, and half admitted to using junk food as an emotional crutch, according to the survey into national happiness levels, conducted for BBC Radio 3.
When asked what made them unhappy, 70 per cent said finances topped their list of concerns, while more than 66 percent were worried about holding down a job.
One in three said they were tormented by family or relationship problems, and they were also the age group that were most likely to struggle over their social status.
And one in three of the Facebook generation - more than any other age group - said they wanted to move abroad in search of happiness.
“There’s nothing wrong with social networking, but if it’s used instead of face-to-face meetings or phone calls than it can be very isolating,” The Daily Mail quoted behavioural psychologist Jo Hemmings as saying.
“Real friendships are made through shared experiences and bonds. Some social networking “friends” are barely even acquaintances, without any real meaning or intimacy.” (ANI)
- Facebook generation loneliest among all age groups - Nov 02, 2010
- 'One third of young women check Facebook before loo in the morning' - Jul 09, 2010
- 12pc of pooches with Facebook profiles have more friends than you do - Mar 09, 2011
- Facebook strengthening our social ties: Study - Nov 28, 2010
- Technology is 'killing traditional face-to-face conversations' - Nov 22, 2010
- Oz teens at risk from 'dangerous' online friends - Mar 15, 2011
- Facebook 'makes loneliness worse' - Dec 31, 2009
- Not interested in social networking sites: Tautou - Aug 15, 2011
- Meet the Oz Gen Y, Gen X and Baby Boomer social networkers - Jun 25, 2010
- Loneliness can cause high blood pressure - Mar 21, 2010
- Loneliness raises blood pressure: research - Mar 19, 2010
- Do friendships too depend on Facebook now? - Nov 15, 2010
- How using Facebook can lead to a roller coaster of emotions - Feb 09, 2011
- Ecstasy users unlikely to suffer worse health problems: Study - Oct 26, 2010
- 1 in 10 Brit couples only chat by email or text - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: age group, age groups, bbc, bbc radio, crutch, daily mail, friendships, group researchers, happiness levels, hemmings, intimacy, junk food, loneliness, networking friends, nov 2, phone calls, psychologist, radio 3, relationship problems, social networking