Extra metro trips on Raksha BandhanAugust 10th, 2011 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) The Delhi Metro will run 200 extra trips on Saturday to avoid overcrowding on Raksha Bandhan - the festival which celebrates the bond between brothers and sisters, an official said Wednesday.
“The metro will provide extra 200 trips and the trains will run at peak hour frequency from morning 8 a.m. to 8.30 p.m. Saturday,” Delhi Metro spokesperson Anuj Dayal said.
Normally, 15 trains are withdrawn from the lines during non-peak hours — 12.30 p.m. to 4.30 p.m. But in view of the festival rush, these trains will be kept in service to provide 200 extra trips that day.
The Delhi Metro normally witnesses a huge rush on Raksha Bandhan — about one lakh extra commuters travel every year on the festival day.
In 2010, 12.02 lakh passengers travelled on the day of the festival.
Apart from additional train trips, extra manpower will be deployed at customer facilitation and ticket counters, the official said.
The Delhi Metro covers about 165 km with over 137 metro stations and ferries about 17 lakh commuters on weekdays.
On Raksha Bandhan, a colourful string called ‘rakhi’ is tied on the right wrists of brothers by sisters who pray for their well being. Meanwhile, brothers promise to take care of their sisters.
- Delhi Metro plans extra trips for Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- Record ridership in Delhi Metro on Raskha Bandhan - Aug 13, 2011
- Metro plans extra trips on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 22, 2010
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro ridership touches 22 lakh - Aug 02, 2012
- Extra Metro trips on Bhai Dooj - Oct 27, 2011
- Delhi Metro to curtail services on Diwali - Oct 24, 2011
- Traffic jams: Police try to pacify commuters - Aug 14, 2011
- Women to get free bus rides on Rakhi day - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Raksha Bandhan with fervour - Aug 02, 2012
- Extra metro trains for trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
- Delhi Metro to make extra trips on Bhai Duj - Nov 06, 2010
- Metro services to close three hours before time on Diwali day - Nov 03, 2010
- Power outage cripples Delhi Metro, thousands hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Delhi celebrates brother-sister bond with Bhai Dooj - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: brothers and sisters, commuters, delhi metro, extra 200, extra metro, facilitation, ferries, lakh, manpower, metro stations, New Delhi, overcrowding, peak hour, peak hours, raksha bandhan, spokesperson, ticket counters, train trips, trains, weekdays