Exploring northeast’s rich heritage, through fashion (With Images)August 8th, 2011 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) Yana Ngoba and Raj Singh, husband-wife designer duo from the northeast, have showcased the rich tribal heritage of Arunachal Pradesh through a fashion show in the capital.
“Our tribal attire is rich in terms of weaves, colours, designs and patterns. It’s a tad unfortunate that no one has attempted a fusion on it before. We are very hopeful that the tribal-western fusion collection shall find many takers in metros as well as international markets,” Yana said here Sunday.
“It’s time that our age-old tribal heritage gets the place on world map it truly deserves. This and our forthcoming shows are an endeavour in this direction,” she added.
Organised by Yanaraj Desizns, the event saw tribal attire inspired from the interiors of Arunachal. The collection presented the tribal attire with western styles to produce a range that’s ethnic yet contemporary. Accessories like headgears and exotic ornaments added to the charm.
The highpoint of the fashion show was dresses made of polythene and plastic waste like packaged water bottles, noodle packets and pan masala sachets, an attempt to promote the message of a clean and green Arunachal.
Also present on the occasion was Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jarbom Gamlin, who is also Yana’s brother.
“We express our gratitude to the state government for supporting the cause and especially to the chief minister for his interest in promoting the rich heritage and tourism potential of Arunachal Pradesh. Promotional events like these shall set the stage for increase in tourist traffic and export of our tribal produce,” Raj said.
He added that the couple was in the process of finalising participation in Paris Fashion Week next year.
“We are planning for Paris Fashion Week. We have already got one approval and the second approval will be made clear by Aug 27. There is one international designer under whom there will two northeast designers — one of them will be Yana and other will be from Mizoram,” added Raj.
- Nabam Tuki sworn in as Arunachal Pradesh CM - Nov 01, 2011
- Gamlin sworn in as Arunachal chief minister (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- 30 people injured in Arunachal violence - Oct 11, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to nominate Arunachal chief minister - Oct 29, 2011
- PM, Sonia to pay last respects to Khandu in Itanagar - May 06, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister denies minister's abduction charge - Oct 02, 2011
- Committed to Khandu's dream of developed Arunachal: PM (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister faces dissidence - Sep 15, 2011
- Soul Survirors: Saving dying tribes of northeast with art - Apr 24, 2011
- Shillong ready to host its first fashion show (With Images) - Sep 12, 2012
- Hunt for new Arunachal CM on, Nabam Tuki emerging as frontrunner - May 04, 2011
- Arunachal lawmakers want power projects to stay - Aug 13, 2010
- Operation on to retrieve Arunachal chief minister's body - May 05, 2011
- Indian state minister killed in helicopter crash - May 04, 2011
- Dorjee Khandu's body brought to Itanagar, last rites Friday (Lead) - May 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,