Ethnic Indian actress to don $30 mn ensemble at fashion showMarch 30th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, March 30 (IANS) Indian origin actress Kavita Kaur Sidhu is to don an ensemble worth $30 million, called “Nightingale of Kuala Lumpur”, which will be the highlight of a fashion show by top Malaysian designers.
The dress is inspired by verses of 14th century Persian poet Hafiz.
“I could think of nobody else to wear it. She will unveil the dress while the poem is being read,” said designer Faisol Abdullah of the fashion house Jendela KL, who unveiled a sketch of the dress to the media Sunday.
The fashion showcase, which will feature 50 designers from Malaysia, was being organised in conjunction with the 11th Malaysian Formula One Grand Prix.
The ensemble will be on sale from April 4, New Straits Times said.
Styled from 14 metres of silk and satin batik fabric and attached with 751 pieces of diamonds weighing over 1,000 carats, the dress comes with diamond-studded shoes designed by Jimmy Choo.
The ensemble will be held together by a pear-shaped 70-carat diamond estimated around $8 million.
“For the buyer, what is more important than the value is that they are recording a time period in history with this work of art,” said Nancy Yeoh, chief executive of the Stylo International Private Limited, the organiser of the show.
The show is being organised in collaboration with the Bumiputera Designers Association and the Madrid Tourism Board. It incorporates a corporate social responsibility programme, she said.
The show will feature designers from Malaysia and Spain like Tom Abang Saufi, Bill Keith, Faisol, Khoon Hooi, Melinda Looi and Albert King, with Spanish guest stars Armaya Arzuaga, Agatha Ruiz, Angel Schlesser and Maria Lafuente, specially flown in from Madrid.
- A dress worth Rm100m to be on sale - Mar 27, 2009
- Mumbai to host fashion grand prix - Oct 11, 2011
- Malaysia honours shoe designer Jimmy Choo - Mar 31, 2010
- Malaysian Indian shares top honour at fashion week - Nov 08, 2010
- Malaysian actress Kavita Sidhu set to launch own clothing line - Jan 25, 2010
- Indian influences from Mughal era to inspire Islamic fashion fest in KL - Jun 24, 2010
- Heidi Klum Comes Up With Her Fashion Label - Oct 11, 2010
- World's most expensive Barbie up for grabs at $500K - Oct 07, 2010
- Diamond could help design tougher chips - Aug 05, 2011
- Indian origin Malaysian model to launch own clothing line - Jan 25, 2010
- Malaysian designer's 85m-long wedding dress train enters record book - Aug 14, 2010
- Kiwi man and his American wife win 'world's best couple' title - Dec 15, 2010
- Go for Pakistani fashion this Eid: Archana Kochhar - Nov 06, 2011
- J.Lo shows off $5m worth rocks at Golden Globes - Jan 18, 2011
- More Chinese than Indians in Malaysia's civil services - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: agatha ruiz, angel schlesser, bumiputera, carat diamond, corporate social responsibility, designers association, diamond studded, fashion showcase, formula one grand prix, indian actress, jendela, jimmy choo, khoon hooi, madrid tourism, malaysian designers, melinda looi, new straits times, persian poet, silk and satin, tom abang saufi