Edrington Group to launch more whisky brands in IndiaFebruary 17th, 2009 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) Unperturbed by the economic slowdown, the Edrington Group, maker Famous Grouse whisky, is planning to launch more brands in India and step up promotional campaigns, a senior official said Tuesday.
“We will be launching the Snow Grouse and Black Grouse in the coming fiscal, both priced tentatively around Rs.1,700,” group area director (Southeast Asia, Africa and Indian subcontinent) Geoff Kirk told IANS.
Explaining the company’s decision to go ahead with the investment plans despite the slowdown, Kirk said India was still a “growing market”.
“There is a slowdown undoubtedly, but it has resulted in lower growth rates and not a reversal of growth. The Indian market might not grow at 25 percent CAGR (compound annual growth rate) as it did over the past four-five years, but it will still be a growing market,” he said.
Famous Grouse hopes to capture a sizeable chunk of the estimated 1.2-million-case Indian market.
“We will launch our premium single malt whisky brands - Macallan and Highland Park - priced over Rs.3,500, soon,” Kirk added.
Most imported liquor labels attract central and state excise levies to the tune of almost 300 percent of the cost of a bottle.
Said Gerry O’Donnell, director of Famous Grouse: “We are talking to the federal and state governments to rationalise the taxes and are hopeful in persuading them to do so like we did in China. It’s ultimately going to be beneficial to the Indian consumer.”
- Indian trio in Scotland invent device to identify fake whisky - Nov 03, 2011
- Foreign liquor bullish about prospects in Punjab - Sep 19, 2009
- Cutty Sark launches blended malt scotch in Indian market - Jul 24, 2008
- Scotland's iconic 'Famous Grouse' to be transformed into steel sculpture - Sep 25, 2010
- Bottle of whisky auctioned for $460,000 - Nov 17, 2010
- Sale of single malt whiskies surges in Delhi - Mar 22, 2012
- Indian menswear brands holding own against international labels - Aug 06, 2012
- Scotch whisky industry unaffected by recession - Jan 02, 2012
- Indian small and light commercial vehicles to log 18 percent growth - Jul 20, 2012
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) (Lead, correcting spelling) - Jul 23, 2012
- Ramco Systems launches enterprise software - Jun 15, 2011
- Czechs make giant glass whisky bottle - Aug 18, 2012
- Christine O'Donnell alleges that Piers Morgan tried to harass her - Aug 19, 2011
- US state seeks Indian investment in IT, energy - Nov 16, 2011
Tags: black grouse, compound annual growth rate, economic slowdown, edrington group, famous grouse, group area, grouse whisky, highland park, indian subcontinent, levies, liquor, macallan, New Delhi, rs 1, single malt whisky, sizeable chunk, snow grouse, southeast asia, state governments, whisky brands