E-mail claiming Ahmedabad blasts traced back to a Navi Mumbai apartmentJuly 27th, 2008 - 2:00 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, July 27 (ANI): The Navi Mumbai Police today raided an apartment in Navi Mumbai after a 14-page e-mail was sent to select TV channels from that area by a terror group named as Indian Mujahidden just minutes before the serial blasts took place in Ahmedabad last night.
In the email the terror outfit claimed responsibility for the blasts and called it a revenge for the Gujarat riots in 2002 following the Godhra carnage killing 52 Hindus.
About the email, a senior official from Mumbais Anti Terrorism Squad said, We are investigating whether the e-mail was sent from a residence. Presently, personal verifications of the persons living there are being carried out and it would be too premature to comment on it.
The police have confiscated some material, but no detentions or arrests have been made so far.
The Navi Mumbai apartment is said to be owned by one Abhishek Sharma, who had rented it out to an American national who is being interrogated by the local police.
The Mumbai Polices Crime Branch officials have also given details of passport and visa of the American national to the anti-terrorism squad. (ANI)
- Varanasi blast: Death toll rises to two - Dec 11, 2010
- Abu Jundal sent to judicial custody till Sep 24 - Sep 10, 2012
- Jama Masjid attack: Mumbai Police hunting SIM card user - Sep 21, 2010
- Abu Jundal shunted to police custody till July 31 - Jul 21, 2012
- Gujarat riots spurred Jundal's radicalisation: Investigators - Jul 11, 2012
- Varanasi terror e-mails tracked to Navi Mumbai - Dec 08, 2010
- Varanasi blast: Two detained in Mumbai for terror email - Dec 08, 2010
- Bhatkal brothers behind Varansi blast: Police (Lead) - Dec 08, 2010
- Nepal police arrest Mumbai blast suspect: Report - Jul 26, 2011
- Abu Jundal sent to police custody till July 31 (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Two 'detained' in Mumbai for e-mail on Delhi firing (Lead) - Sep 21, 2010
- IM e-mail tracked to Mumbai: Police sources - Dec 08, 2010
- No CBI probe into Mumbai triple blasts: Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Ammonium nitrate used in Pune blasts: Patil (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Probe widens in Mumbai blasts, detonators remain mystery - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: apartment, branch officials, carnage, crime branch, detentions, e mail, email, gujarat, hindus, navi mumbai, passport, polices, revenge, riots, serial blasts, terror group, terrorism, tv channels, verifications, visa