Drape that Kanjeevaram, Benarasi this DiwaliOctober 20th, 2011 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi , Oct 20 (IANS) To shine bright this Diwali, bring your Kanjeevaram and Benarasi saris out of the closet. And don’t forget to accessorize, be it gold, silver or costume jewellery.
Designers feel traditional attires will be perfect for one of India’s biggest festivals that falls on Oct 26 this year.
Veteran designer Ritu Kumar says youngsters had taken to wearing Western clothes even on Diwali, but traditional wear has made a big comeback.
“Diwali is a festival that requires you to dress up in beautiful traditional clothes. Keeping this in mind, we have launched a special collection which is a perfect blend of traditional Indian sensibilities,” Kumar told IANS.
“Go for beautiful Benarasi and Kanjeevaram saris or silk kurtas, embellished with mirror and aari work, zari work ghagras, outfits with antique gota pieces, phulkari lehngas, and other such garments. All these garments can make this Diwali a fashionably different occasion,” she added.
Mumbai-based designer Deepika Govind suggests mixing traditionalism with modernity.
“For this season, I have launched designs that are a blend of traditional Indian costumes with a touch of modernity. I believe the occasion asks for trying out garments which reflect the true Indian culture. The line consists of lehngas, saris and kurtas in fabrics like organza tissue, jamevar, jacquard and intricately woven ikat,” said Govind.
“Also, women can try out Kanjeevaram and Uppada saris, which are setting a new trend this season. People should indulge in making the festival of lights even more special and glamorous with colours like ivory, red and bright hues,” she added.
Though a lot of the young crowd has opened up to traditional saris by teaming them with sexy off-shoulder, tube and halter blouses, they are also quite enamoured by stone work, says designer Parul Jain.
“Saris and lehngas become a sought after garment during the festive season, but motifs and work also play an important role in adding zing to the garment. Kundan stones, sequins, beads, semi-precious stones, Navratna stones, French knot thread work are some of the trends which can be considered the must-have this season,” Jain said.
While Diwali is the occasion to dress up in all your finery, designers also have a word of caution as many fire-related accidents are reported on the festival.
“The safest fabric to wear during Diwali is cotton,” Jain said.
Designers also advise adding jewellery to jazz up your look.
“While gold and silver are preferable, you may also include costume jewellery that is bright. Always remember to wear those ornaments that match your garments as contrast doesn’t always work,” said Kolkata-based designer Debarun Mukherjee.
If women have so many options to look their best, why should boys be left behind?
“Boys have limited options, but to try out something other than the kurta-pyjama, why not pair the kurta with skinny pants and kolhapuri chappals or slip-ons!” added Mukherjee.
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A range of styles for your bridal attire - Oct 06, 2011
- Can Vidya's kanjeevaram look revive hand-woven saris? - Feb 16, 2012
- Magic of Banarasi sari recreated on ramp (With Images) - Aug 30, 2012
- Item songs inspired Rohan Arora's footwear line (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- New Puja wardrobe: Jeggings, maxis, gowns - Oct 04, 2011
- Why not marry in your mom's wedding sari? - Mar 26, 2011
- Summer corporate wear? Try Peter Pan collar or shirtdress (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- Oprah asked for traditional sari: Tarun Tahiliani (With Image) - Jan 19, 2012
- Try a kundan choker with that gown (Feature) - Aug 09, 2011
- Deepika Govind's new designs mix style, power - Nov 15, 2011
- Pam Mehta offers Floral Fiesta (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Shop till you drop in Kolkata! It's Durga Puja time - Oct 11, 2010
- Winter of discontent for brides? No way, say designers (With Images) - Jan 03, 2012
- Preeti Ghai's new collection, a fusion of tradition, trends (With Images) - May 15, 2011
- From traditional to sexy, blouses get retro makeover - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,