Dongre’s tribute to Indian textiles at LFW (With Images)July 28th, 2012 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 28 (IANS) Designer Anita Dongre is set to pay tribute to Indian textiles with a collection called “Urban Princess” at the forthcoming Lakme Fashion Week, which begins Aug 3.
The designer will present her collection Aug 5, which also happens to be the Indian Textile Day.
“The collection is a blend of traditional Indian textiles styled in a contemporary way, for the urban, well travelled and sophisticated Indian woman. The designs will bring together hand woven textiles from Benares, ikat from Andhra Pradesh and vegetable block prints from Bhuj,” said Dongre.
The designer feels “pity” to see the condition of Indian art and craft today and hopes that her collection will help make a difference.
“It is a pity that even though India has such beautiful historical art forms and skilled craftsmen, we do not acknowledge them and focus on working with common fabrics. Thus, I feel that this collection will appeal to Indians and other fashion conscious people all over the world,” she told IANS.
“As Indian designers, our job is to work with what India has to offer and keep the ethnicity in our collections as that is the main aspect that differentiates us from designers abroad. To do this, we have to make our silhouettes more modern and contemporary, which is what I have done with this collection,” she added.
The silhouettes in her collection vary from cigarette pants, jackets, dresses and blouses. The colour palette includes shades like emerald greens, reds and royal blues combined with browns and blacks.
- Preeti Desai dazzles in white lehenga choli for Anita Dongre - Aug 06, 2012
- Designer Anita Dongre launches menswear line - Mar 26, 2012
- 'I AM' team present at Anita Dongre's LFW show - Mar 14, 2011
- Indian designer menswear market has come of age: Anita Dongre (With Images) - Apr 01, 2012
- Shabana NGO's women create Anita Dongre's LFW collection - Aug 18, 2011
- Wearability factor gets prominence at LFW - Aug 05, 2012
- Pallavi Jaikishan goes traditional at LFW - Aug 04, 2012
- Payal Kapoor to revive Benaras motifs at LFW (With Images) - Jul 20, 2012
- Deepika Govind's new designs mix style, power - Nov 15, 2011
- Mallika Sherawat adds glamour to Lakme Fashion Week - Sep 17, 2010
- Anuradha Ramam to take Indian weaves to San Francisco (With Images) - Apr 08, 2012
- Standing ovation for Kallol, Pankaj and Nidhi at LFW finale - Aug 08, 2012
- Fusion of Eastern European art, Euro-Asian essence at LFW - Aug 20, 2011
- Jaya Rathore explores heritage weaves for bridal line (With images) - Aug 18, 2011
- Kirron walks the ramp, adds film flavour (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: anita dongre, art and craft, art forms, block prints, blouses, browns, colour palette, emerald greens, historical art, indian art, indian designers, indian textile, indian woman, lakme fashion week, lfw, royal blues, silhouettes, skilled craftsmen, traditional indian textiles, woven textiles