Dog owners end up walking over 23,000 miles - almost around the worldFebruary 11th, 2011 - 6:14 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 11 (ANI): Dog owners end up walking more than 23,000 miles - almost as far as walking around the world - with their pet during its lifetime, according to a new study.
The study involving 3,000 owners shows the average person walks their dog for 8 hours and 54 minutes a week, covering 36 miles, reports the Daily Express.
It adds up to a staggering 1,855 miles a year or 23,739 miles in an average dog’s lifetime of 12.8 years.
The study by insurance firm esure shows the average dog gets two walks of around 47 minutes plus one short walk of about 13 minutes a day, totaling 107 minutes and covering about seven miles.
41 per cent of people questioned say walks are usually around the neighborhood, but for 42 per cent it is the local park.
Other popular venues include the countryside, local fields and the seafront.
Half of people questioned blamed their hectic lifestyles for not walking their pet every day.
Around 15 per cent said walking the dog is one of the worst things about owning one.
“These research results are incredible, particularly as they are based on the average owner walking their dog for five days of the week rather than seven. But walking the dog has enormous benefits, not only for the health of the animal but for the health of their owner as well,” Nikki Sellers, head of pet insurance company, said. (ANI)
- Whippets are world's costliest breeds of dogs for owners - Jun 17, 2010
- Average Brit carries at least 3 useless keys - Mar 10, 2011
- 1 in 10 Brit couples only chat by email or text - Oct 06, 2010
- Two mn pets left at home while Britons go to work - May 26, 2011
- Dog owners get more exercise than gym members: Study - Nov 27, 2009
- Scottish women fancy cats and dogs over babies! - Jul 26, 2010
- Coronation Street 10 times more dangerous than average Manchester street - Nov 29, 2010
- 80pc Brits won't date someone who doesn't like their pooch! - Feb 12, 2011
- Dog walking 'one of UK's fastest-growing job' - Apr 10, 2011
- Britons spend 12 hours staring at electronic screens - May 26, 2011
- Owners killing their pets to get insurance payout - Nov 14, 2011
- Absence does make the heart grow fonder! - Jun 28, 2012
- Driving with a pet as dangerous as texting on the go - Aug 20, 2010
- Night vision goggles being used in dog fouling crackdown - Jan 30, 2012
- 12pc of pooches with Facebook profiles have more friends than you do - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: 8 years, average person, countryside, daily express, days of the week, dog owners, enormous benefits, esure, hectic lifestyles, insurance company, insurance firm, lifetime, local fields, local park, london feb, neighborhood, pet insurance, seven miles, walking around the world, world london