Divorce not problematic, but its poor handling isJanuary 18th, 2012 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 18 (IANS) The poor handling of divorce by parents, rather than the act itself, causes additional behavioural problems for the kids, suggests a study.
“It is not divorce in itself that can lead to problems in children. It is the divorce linked to inter-parental conflict, a lack of co-parenting and an unsuitable family climate,” said Priscila Comino, who conducted the study as part of her doctoral thesis in psychology at the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), Spain.
Comino gathered a data on 416 children aged between four and 18 years to study and compare the behaviour of the offsprings of divorced parents (214) with that of the offsprings of married parents (202).
The results show that there is no reason why the problems of a child of divorced parents should go beyond that a child of married parents, as long as the parents have adapted positively to their new situation, a university statement said.
“A set of 13 items with 113 behaviours enabled us to obtain an average of the behavioural problems of the offspring by using the parents as respondents,” said Comino.
Syndromes like introversion (introvert), depression, attention problems or delinquent behaviour were some of the yardsticks used in the study.
Divorce, in fact, is only a problem when associated with other factors, like interparental conflict, inadequate co-parenting, changes in the child’s daily routines or psychological problems of the parents themselves.
- Negative family behind an aggressive child - Mar 18, 2010
- Parents who share caregiving for their kids 'experience more conflict' - Jan 27, 2011
- New path for novel Alzheimer's therapies found - May 21, 2010
- Genes linked to hereditary breast and ovary cancer identified - Feb 19, 2011
- Soon, cements that self-repair cracks, store latent heat energy - Mar 03, 2011
- Toxic traffic metals pollute air - Feb 26, 2012
- Women tend to feel more guilt than men - Jan 26, 2010
- Eating disorders can have dire effects on body, mind - Mar 18, 2009
- Boys' sense of fitness makes them psychologically better - Feb 04, 2009
- 'Marital discord creates emotional problems in children' - Jun 14, 2012
- Men feel "too little" guilt - Jan 26, 2010
- Adolescent students shouldn't give up watching TV but learn how to use it - Apr 20, 2011
- Positive parenting helps prevent obesity in kids - Feb 07, 2012
- Overly shy kid is slow learner too - Aug 29, 2012
- Divorced couples' kids lag in math, social skills - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: 18 years, attention problems, behavioural problems, climate, comino, delinquent behaviour, depression, doctoral thesis, ehu, london jan, new situation, offspring, offsprings, parental conflict, parenting, psychological problems, respondents, syndromes, university of the basque country, yardsticks