Dior suspends Galliano after anti-Semitic remarks (Lead)February 26th, 2011 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 26 (IANS) Fashion label Dior has suspended its designer John Galliano after he was arrested for allegedly making anti-Semitic remarks to a couple.The fashion designer was questioned and escorted home by police in Paris after he allegedly hurled abuse Friday at a couple who were seated on a cafe terrace in Paris, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
In a statement, Dior’s chief executive Sidney Toledano said: “Dior affirms with the utmost conviction its policy of zero tolerance towards any anti-Semitic or racist words or behaviour.”
“Pending the results of the inquiry, Christian Dior has suspended John Galliano from his responsibilities,” he added.
However the 50-year-old designer who is currently putting the final touches to his autumn-winter collections for Christian Dior and his own label for Paris Fashion Week next week has denied he made anti-Semitic remarks.
His lawyer Stephane Zerbib said: “The designer formally denies the accusations of anti-Semitism made against him.”
Galliano took over the creative helm at Christian Dior in 1996.
- Brit fashion designer John Galliano filmed saying 'I love Hitler' - Mar 01, 2011
- Galliano facing defamation lawsuit - May 07, 2011
- Dior's John Galliano sacked over 'anti-Jewish slurs' - Mar 02, 2011
- John Galliano sacked from Dior - Mar 02, 2011
- John Galliano to sue couple accusing him of making Asian slurs - Feb 27, 2011
- 'Anti-Jewish' John Galliano 'could face prison despite apology' - Mar 03, 2011
- John Galliano's show cancelled - Mar 05, 2011
- Galliano didn't use racist remarks: Lawyer - Feb 28, 2011
- John Galliano found guilty - Sep 09, 2011
- John Galliano sacked from own fashion label following anti-Semitic rant - Apr 16, 2011
- Label dumps fashion legend John Galliano after arrest - Feb 26, 2011
- Galliano stripped of French honour - Aug 26, 2012
- Galliano checks into rehab? - Mar 03, 2011
- John Galliano's Paris Fashion Week show scrapped - Mar 05, 2011
- John Galliano sacked from own label - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: accusations, anti semitism, autumn winter, chief executive, christian dior, collections, conviction, fashion designer, fashion label, final touches, helm, john galliano, lawyer, london feb, paris fashion week, paris reports, racist words, sidney toledano, stephane, zero tolerance