Designer Anupama Dayal takes inspiration from Tennyson’s poemMarch 12th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Designer Anupama Dayal’s collection for the upcoming Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week (WIFW) and Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) is inspired by Alfred Tennyson’s poem “The Lotus Eaters”, the message of which she believes is relevant in present times.
“The poem talks about courage and optimism that is lacking in the present world. What we see all around us is a gloomy atmosphere and people are depressed,” Dayal told IANS at the preview of her autumn-winter collection here Thursday.
“The poem’s underlying message is that our need for luxurious self indulgence ought to be balanced by the knowledge that we cannot be happy without challenges. The fire of aspiration and struggle actually makes the world a better place,” Dayal said.
“Through this line, I am talking about the elegant, gracious, seductive and free-spirited women of today who is at ease with the world and celebrates life,” Dayal explained.
The line has rich hues of jewelled tones like amber, topaz, ruby, sapphire, turquoise and emerald and the fabrics used are brocades, jacquard chiffons and georgettes, satin and dupion silk.
The line comprises of cocktail dresses, long dresses, cropped and harem pants, tunics, skirts and saris.
- Kavita Bhartia pays tribute to Indian weavers - Oct 09, 2011
- Amitabh Bachchan creates frenzy on LFW day three - Sep 19, 2010
- All about metal: Siddartha Tytler makes rocking LFW debut - Mar 14, 2011
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- From no show to showstopper: Perizaad Zorabian at LFW - Mar 15, 2011
- Satya Paul apparels wow Malaysians - Nov 24, 2010
- Rocky S Wants To Dress Up Bipasha Basu On Her Marriage - Nov 13, 2010
- Khadi, Gandhi topis at James Ferreira's show - Oct 12, 2011
- Fusion of Eastern European art, Euro-Asian essence at LFW - Aug 20, 2011
- JLo's style, chutzpah inspires designer Charu Parashar - Apr 07, 2011
- Varun Bahl presents edgy, unconventional line at WIFW - Apr 06, 2011
- Chronicle of fashion foretold: Orange for winter - Apr 19, 2011
- Bikini models scorch the ramp at WIFW - Oct 26, 2010
- Taufiq Qureshi steals WIFW show with vocal percussions - Feb 19, 2012
- Colours, bling and cuts on WIFW runway - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: alfred tennyson, autumn winter, chiffons, cocktail dresses, dayal, free spirited women, georgettes, gloomy atmosphere, harem pants, india fashion week, lfw, lotus eaters, poem talks, present times, rich hues, ruby sapphire, saris, self indulgence, wills lifestyle india fashion week, winter collection