Desi girls opt for western outfits for IIFA green carpetJune 26th, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, June 26 (IANS) From long, trailed, ruffled to off-shoulder gowns - B-town beauties like Sonakshi Sinha and Sridevi flaunted gowns on the IIFA green carpet and teamed it up with Victorian hairdos.
From young actresses like Genelia D’Souza, Amrita Puri, Prachi Desai and Sonakshi Sinha to the senior lot including Sridevi, Shilpa Shetty, Bipasha Basu, Amisha Patel, Malaika Arora Khan - all of them sported different variety of gowns. Even Mallika Sherawat, Neha Dhupia and Dia Mirza came in gowns at the at the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards ceremony held here Saturday.
Short, long, trailed, ruffled, off-shoulder, single shoulder - the variety was there for all to see. However, what was noteworthy was that most of the actresses chose to go with nude shades, and subdued embroidery or embellishments.
Sridevi, who announced her comeback to the film industry at the IIFA, looked stunning in a bright red, full length, off-shoulder gown. She had teamed it up with a sparkling diamond neckpiece.
Mallika, who wore a sari on the first day of IIFA, came dressed in an animal print long dress for the main night, while Shilpa Shetty and Sonakshi chose to go blingy black with long dresses.
Prachi Desai, who won an award for her supporting performance in “Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai”, wore a green dress “in support of IIFA’s green movement”.
Bipasha and Amisha landed themselves in a fashion faux pas as they sported similar looking dresses on the green carpet, except that Bipasha’s dress was beige, and Amisha’s an into-the-eye sunshine yellow.
However, there were some guests from fildom who splashed desi style - Shabana Azmi, Zeenat Aman, Sharmila Tagore, Hema Malini, and younger actresses like Esha Deol and Aarti Chhabbria sported saris. Later Anushka Sharma, winner of this year’s best actress award, was seen in a sari too.
- Indian clothes dominated Filmfare red carpet - Jan 30, 2011
- Who says short girls can't flaunt gowns? (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Men in black, beauties in gowns ruled IIFA green carpet - Jun 06, 2010
- Crazy fans scare Boman (IIFA Diary) - Jun 24, 2011
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Style quotient at Oscars - hits and misses - Feb 28, 2011
- KJo's 40th birthday bash a black and white affair - May 26, 2012
- SRK or Vivaan Bhatena, everyone was a star in Toronto! - Jun 27, 2011
- Mallika gets up, close, personal with Ontario Premier - Jun 24, 2011
- With stars, dance, music - IIFA spreads Indian fever in Toronto (Review) - Jun 27, 2011
- 'Double Dhamaal' cast creates dhamaal in Toronto! - Jun 24, 2011
- 'Dabangg' bags seven IIFA awards (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2011
- Bollywood's young blood to rock IIFA in Singapore (Curtain Raiser) - Jun 06, 2012
- Western attires score over Indian on IIFA green carpet - Jun 14, 2009
- Blend of creativity, contemporary cuts at Pakistan fashion week - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: actress award, best actress, bipasha basu, dia mirza, genelia, genelia d souza, hema malini, malaika arora, malaika arora khan, neha dhupia, prachi desai, sharmila tagore, shilpa shetty, shoulder gown, sridevi, sunshine yellow, town beauties, western outfits, young actresses, zeenat aman