Delhiites throng Pragati Maidan on last day of book fairSeptember 9th, 2012 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 9 (IANS) It was a packed house at Pragati Maidan here Sunday as crowds thronged the venue on the last day of the 18th Delhi Book Fair with books on spiritualism, religion, fashion designing and novels selling like hot cakes.
The nine-day book fair that began Sep 1 had “e-books” as its theme and played host to 300 publishers — both regional and international, including those from China, Pakistan, US, Britain, France and Germany.
Every year, the Delhi Book Fair has been successfully attracting about three lakh visitors.
“The response has been very good over the weekend. Today (Sunday) being a holiday, a lot of families and college students are visiting the venue,” J.N. Bhatia of AITBS publishers India told IANS.
“We have books on nursing, medical and dental care besides other general books priced between Rs.50 and Rs.2,000 and the sales have doubled over the weekend as compared to the weekdays,” he added.
However, books on spiritualism, health and designing were favourites.
“The customers are keen on books that could give them an insight into designing, whether it is fashion or interior designing or handicrafts,” said Sachin Gupta of Sumsac International.
For Gyanendra Singh of Vedmata Gayatri Trust, who had books on spiritualism, religion and yoga, it was a welcome surprise that a majority of the buyers were youngsters.
“It is good to see the interest of youth in subjects like yoga and spiritualism. Majority of our customers have been youngsters,” he said.
- Delhi Book Fair to begin Sep 1 - Aug 30, 2012
- Delhi book fair begins - Sep 01, 2012
- Delhi Book Fair begins: e-books the flavour this time (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- Darululoom books soon in English, Hindi - Sep 04, 2012
- Centenary celebrations galore at World Book Fair (Curtain Rasier) - Feb 23, 2012
- Delhi Book Fair to focus on travel, children - Aug 25, 2011
- Traffic guidelines for Delhi trade fair issued - Nov 12, 2010
- Get trade fair tickets at Metro stations - Nov 12, 2011
- Yogananda biography wins international award - May 25, 2012
- Extra metro trains for trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
Tags: bhatia, crowds, dental care, e books, fair new delhi, gayatri, general books, gupta, gyanendra, handicrafts, hot cakes, lakh, maidan, rs 2, rs 50, sachin, weekdays, weekend today, welcome surprise, youngsters