Delhi University to have 500 seat hostel for tribal, North-East girl studentsMarch 24th, 2008 - 4:40 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 24 (ANI): The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs has signed an MoU with the University of Delhi and the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (MDONER) for setting up a 500 seat girls hostel for tribal and North East students, including those from Sikkim.
The hostel will be set up at Dhaka Housing Complex in the Delhi University campus, and have all modern facilities, including solar water heating and rainwater harvesting.
The hostel will also have one provost flat, two warden flats, two resident tutor flats and twelve servants’ quarters. Construction is expected to be completed by September 30, 2009.
Out of approved construction cost of Rs. 23.33 crore, 40 per cent will be shared by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and the remaining 60 per cent by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has already released Rs. 2.6 crore in the first week of March 2008, from its share. Land for the hostel will be provided by the university as per UGC norms.
A committee comprising of representatives from the Ministry of Tribal Affairs, the Ministry of DONER and Delhi University will regularly monitor the progress of the construction and meet at least every quarter for inspection, besides discussing related issues, to ensure timely completion of the project. (ANI)
Tags: construction cost, delhi university, doner, east students, girl students, hostel, ministry of development, mou, norms, provost, rainwater harvesting, resident tutor, servants, share land, solar water heating, timely completion, tribal affairs, ugc, union ministry, university of delhi