Delhi celebrates International Museum DayMay 18th, 2011 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) The national capital celebrated the International Museum Day Wednesday with several programmes dedicated to promoting the institutionalised conservation of traditional arts and culture of the country.
The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) hosted a painting competition for children at the Children’s Museum in Siri Fort to raise awareness about the nature of artifacts displayed in the archives.
The competition was open to children of Class 8 and 9. Freedom fighter and social activist Ajeet Cour was the chief guest. The ASI has been celebrating the day since 1977.
The theme for this year’s International Museum Day was Museum and Memory, a statement released by the ministry of culture said.
The National Museum celebrated the day with a gallery walk through the coins gallery, release of documentary on the Khasis of Meghalaya, a lecture on Buddhist art and its impact on central Asia by Tagore scholar Chayya Bhattacharya-Haesner and a screening of a documentary on Indian art.
The DVD of the movie, “The Khasis of Meghalaya” was released by museum administrator C.V. Ananda Bose.
- National Museum set for complete facelift - Apr 18, 2011
- Campus museums to come up in Kerala, Himachal - Jun 16, 2011
- At 61, National Museum to get a facelift - Oct 09, 2010
- National Museum opens door to visually-impaired - Feb 28, 2011
- Protect SAARC's shared cultural identity: Writer - Sep 29, 2011
- National Museum to set up 1,000 people's museums across India - Apr 09, 2011
- Government mulls new cultural university to conserve heritage - Apr 17, 2011
- Museum study, conservation - new-age career options - Sep 17, 2011
- Heritage Indian instruments retrieved from obscurity - Dec 18, 2010
- India's ASI to renovate temple in Myanmar - Jun 21, 2011
- National Museum promises better maintenance and display - Dec 13, 2011
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Michelle to walk through 5,000 years of culture at crafts museum (Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- Government supports tribal heritage - Aug 05, 2011
- National Museum to get international conservation expertise - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: ananda, archaeological survey of india, artifacts, arts and culture, bose, buddhist art, central asia, chief guest, class 8, coins, documentary, freedom fighter, indian art, khasis, ministry of culture, museum administrator, New Delhi, scholar, siri, social activist