DCW puts spotlight on opulence, grandeur and business (Preview)August 7th, 2012 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) Couture has its roots in ancient history when each garment was equated with fantasy, opulence and creativity. This is exactly what the third edition of Delhi Couture Week (DCW) is set to re-visit. It will also see a joint collaboration of Indo-Dutch fashion.
With 11 designers showcasing and celebrities like Madhuri Dixit and Sharmila Tagore walking the ramp, the five-day event, starting Wednesday, promises to create new trends by blending old and new design aesthetics.
As many as 11 leading couturiers of India will showcase their royal collections. Some of the names who will participate in the event are JJ Valaya, Ashima- Leena, Anamika Khanna, Gaurav Gupta, Anju Modi, Manish Arora, Shantanu & Nikhil, Manish Malhotra and Manav Gangwani.
While designer Varun Bahl will kick off the fashion week, Sabyasachi Mukherjee will bring the curtains down on the third edition of DCW.
“Through the event we aim at providing networking platform to India’s finest fashion talent besides enabling exchange of ideas and industry developments. The couture week will bring together the best designers from India to create never seen before moments,” Sunil Sethi, President, Fashion Design Council of India, said in a statement.
Though the venue remains Taj Palace for all five days, but there will be two off-site shows. Valaya will present his collection at The Grand hotel on opening day, while designers Anamika Khanna and Gaurav Gupta will have a combined show at the Evoluzione Thursday.
Another highlight of the fashion week will be the announcement of joint collaboration of Indo-Dutch fashion by Jan Taminiau, one of the leading couturiers from Netherlands.
Co-initiated by the FDCI foundation, HTNK Fashion recruitment and consultancy foundation and House of Denim, the programme is titled “Dutch Fashion Here & Now India”.
The three-year collaboration will see two designers from Netherlands collaborate with two names from the Indian fashion fraternity to showcase a collection at later date.
With so many things going around, how can Bollywood be left behind. Our very own dancing diva Madhuri Dixit will walk the ramp for fashion designer Anju Modi.
“I am absolutely thrilled to walk the ramp for Anju. I personally wear a lot of her designs and she’s created some great pieces for me over the last few months! When I learned about the inspiration behind the collection and the strength of character it portrays, I was all for it,” Madhuri said in a statement.
Also Bollywood veteran Sharmila Tagore will be the showstopper for designer duo Ashima and Leena Singh. The designers will showcase a royal collection titled “Raag Rattan”.
“Sharmila Tagore is an eternal beauty and represents royalty in its true sense and she is truly the epitome of elegance for us. Her rich and regal look is the perfect embodiment of Ashima-Leena’s brand,” the designer duo told IANS.
- Bridal collection, Bollywood dominated DCW (Review) (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Buyers' resolute thumbs up to Delhi Couture Week (Review) - Jul 26, 2011
- Sharmila Tagore to walk for Ashima-Leena at DCW (With Image) - Aug 05, 2012
- Couture week gets bigger, better; Madhuri to walk at opener (Curtainraiser) - Jul 21, 2011
- Walking the ramp is fun for me: Sharmila Tagore - Aug 09, 2012
- I was skeptical about walking the ramp: Sharmila Tagore - Jul 25, 2011
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sonam, Shabana make their way to DCW (Lead with correction in second para) - Aug 10, 2012
- Designers happy as business takes front seat at WIFW (Review) - Apr 11, 2011
- Embroidery, motifs dominate JJ Valaya's couture line (With Image) - Aug 09, 2012
- Designers' thumbs up for Delhi couture week - Jun 26, 2010
- Clothes real stars at Delhi Couture Week (Review) - Jul 26, 2010
- Clothes were the real stars of Delhi Couture Week (Review) (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Jul 26, 2010
- Now Dutch designers join hands with Indian fashion industry (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Madhuri Dixit turns 'devi' for Anju Modi - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: anju modi, couture, couturiers, design aesthetics, fashion design council of india, fashion week, finest fashion, gaurav gupta, industry developments, leena, madhuri dixit, manish arora, manish malhotra, networking platform, new trends, nikhil, opulence, royal collections, shantanu, sharmila tagore