Collins Concise English Dictionary goes green and onlineJune 2nd, 2008 - 3:38 pm ICT by admin
London, June 2 (ANI): The Collins Concise English Dictionary has phrases associated with being environmentally friendlylike “carbon neutral” and “green tax”included in its latest edition.
“E-card”, “norovirus”, “non-dom”, and “Skype” are the other words included in the dictionary.
Collins’s lexicographers have revealed that they referred to the Bank of English, a vast database of real-life examples of English in use that grows by 35 million words every month, for compiling the dictionary.
Interestingly, they have also incorporated mini-biographies of Hollywood actor Heath Ledger and crocodile hunter Steve Irwin.
Besides that, the lexicographers have also included entries describing top sportsmen Lewis Hamilton and Joe Calzaghe, and comedian Russell Brand.
Brand finds his entry in the word list sandwiched between that of the Romanian sculptor Constantin Brancusi and the definition of “brandade”, a French provincial dish of salt cod pureed with olive oil and milk.
The latest edition of the Collins Concise English Dictionary also marks its going online for the first time.
“We are the only dictionary publisher to include biographical entries, but we can’t put in every celebrity they have to be well known, the Scotsman quoted a spokesman as saying.
Ledger and Irwin were included because they have been in the news so much since they died,” he added. (ANI)
- Sexting is official, you may retweet it - Aug 18, 2011
- Vuvuzela, chill pill, bromance enter Oxford Dictionary of English - Aug 19, 2010
- New Collins dictionary has text messaging guide too - Sep 09, 2009
- Chinese slangs find way into Oxford dictionary - Sep 22, 2010
- Graphic symbol for love is first to be added to Oxford English Dictionary - Mar 25, 2011
- Internet words 'bloggable' and 'scareware' enter Oxford Dictionary - Feb 24, 2011
- Twitter to be listed in dictionary - Jul 06, 2009
- Thousands cheer for Kannada at Bangalore meet - Feb 04, 2011
- 10 jailed for pirating dictionaries - Jan 05, 2011
- Vuvuzela gets entry in Oxford English Dictionary - Aug 18, 2010
- Sexting, mini-Madoff, Great Recession among 2009's online buzzwords - Dec 23, 2009
- Rural India to be theme of Delhi Book Fair - Dec 20, 2010
- Scrabble bosses slammed over use of abusive words - Aug 29, 2010
- Merriam-Webster's Word of the Summer is Sarah Palin's 'refudiate' - Sep 08, 2010
- 'Simples', 'tweetheart' and 'fauxmance' - new additions to dictionary! - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: actor heath, biographical entries, comedian russell, constantin brancusi, crocodile hunter steve, crocodile hunter steve irwin, dictionary collins, english dictionary, heath ledger, hollywood actor, joe calzaghe, lewis hamilton, million words, mini biographies, romanian sculptor, russell brand, salt cod, skype, sportsmen, word list