College Orientation Programs A Must For US ParentsJuly 24th, 2010 - 7:06 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
July 24, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Colleges all over the United States are organizing orientation programs for the parents of the 2010 freshers. However these orientation programs are not the simple one to two hour sessions with the teachers, but an elaborate event taking place over a period of two to three days.
Certain things that a parent has to keep in mind before admitting his or her child to a particular college is the basic moral of the orientation programs held this year. For instance, the Deans are of the opinion that parents should take a good look at the website of the college to get an idea of what it has to offer to the students. Also, the parents are being advised to provide their children with a notepad or a laptop loaded with essential, softwares, so that it becomes easier for them to conduct research work in their respective field of study, not to forget the textbooks which have to be bought before the beginning of a semester. The Deans would also like their students to be happy in college, so they say that every college-goer should be provided with essential dormitory furnishings. The other basics that parents will have to keep in mind while putting their daughter in any college is to make a financial plan for their sons and daughters and encourage the student to maintain a good reputation in college so that they may get the help of professors whenever they are in need.
Most colleges across the US have made such orientation programs a compulsory event for parents to attend, forcing them to take a leave from work on the mentioned dates. The orientation programs are usually marked by workshop classes and speeches by the Deans of the respective colleges.
- Day one at DU: New students get a feel of campus - Jul 23, 2012
- Chinese parents complain as kids get cassettes - Sep 12, 2012
- Court questions Delhi University on semester system (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Delhi University opens on no ragging note (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Change in government should not hit students: Apex court (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Anti-ragging vigil as Delhi University opens Wednesday - Jul 20, 2010
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- No premiere for 'SOTY', thanks to extensive promotional activities - Sep 05, 2012
- Delhi University opens on no ragging note (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- 50 Pak students meet for Global UGRAD-Pakistan orientation - Dec 30, 2010
- Delhi University opens on no-ragging note Wednesday - Jul 21, 2010
- Harvard probes dozens of students on cheating allegation - Aug 31, 2012
- No contempt move for now, Delhi college teachers told - May 16, 2011
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- E-textbooks knocking at Indian classroom doors - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: college orientation, colleges, dormitory, freshers, gina gomez, goer, good reputation, laptop, notepad, orientation programs, parents, professors, sessions, sons and daughters, speeches, textbooks, united states, workshop classes