Chinese disappointed with beauty queensJuly 18th, 2012 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 18 (IANS) Three winners of a beauty pageant in Chongqing, one of the largest cities in China, have failed to convince web users, who said the winners were “far below the public’s aesthetic benchmark”.
Internet users criticised the winners after their photos were posted on Twitter-like micro-blogging service Weibo, the China Daily reported Wednesday.
A Chongqing resident said if this was the “true level of beauty” for girls from his hometown, they would feel ashamed to claim Chongqing as their place of origin.
Some internet users speculated that there must be some “hidden rules” in the competition.
One judge of the pageant, who remained anonymous, admitted that they were under “outside pressure” and that the final results were not based on the judges’ decisions.
Lan Rong, executive chairwoman of the organising committee, defended the event, and said the rules were fair and open, and that outward appearance was not the only criterion in the competition.
The “disappointing” results were also attributed to the inadequate participation by the public in the competition.
Lan said nearly 1,000 people registered for the event, but only 50 were selected for into the second round.
However, a judge said there were no more than 200 registered participants.
- Shanghai launches official microblog - Nov 28, 2011
- Tell your real name: Beijing asks microbloggers (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Six held for sexual assault at China water festival - Aug 24, 2012
- Facebook IPO boosts growth of Chinese sites - Feb 03, 2012
- Israeli pageant crowns Miss Holocaust Survivor - Jun 29, 2012
- Bikinis add controversy to cow contest - Aug 22, 2012
- China to put out quake data on social networks - May 24, 2012
- Give your real name: Beijing to microbloggers - Dec 16, 2011
- China cracks down on online crime, over 1,000 held (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Chinese fans grieve loss of Whitney Houston - Feb 13, 2012
- 1,000 dogs rescued from being slaughtered in China - Oct 17, 2011
- Apple fans in China pay tribute to Jobs - Oct 06, 2011
- 240 injured in Shanghai subway trains' accident - Sep 27, 2011
- Facebook eyeing to re-connect with China? - Dec 23, 2010
- Concern over overworked online Chinese shopkeeper's death - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: beauty pageant, beauty queens, beijing, benchmark internet, blogging, chairwoman, china daily, chongqing, cities in china, criterion, hometown, internet users, largest cities in china, organising committee, outward appearance, participants, place of origin, true level, twitter, web users