China world’s largest beer consumerAugust 9th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) The quantity of beer consumed around the globe in 2011 increased for the 27th consecutive year, with China making up 25 percent of the sales.
A report released Wednesday by Kirin Holdings, the research arm of a Japanese brewery, attributed the rise to robust demand in Asia and developing countries, the Daily Mail reported.
For the 10th year, China showed it has the greatest thirst for the alcoholic drink.
The US retained its second place with sales in the country making up 11.7 percent of the global figure. Brazil was ranked third and Russia came fourth.
The report found that 250 billion litres of beer were produced in 2011, up 3.7 percent from 2010.
In 2010, 45 billion litres of beer were sold in China with US sales accounting for less than half that amount at 25 billion litres.
In per capita terms, the average Asian drinks 17 litres of beer a year. But the global average per capita is close to 30 litres.
The Czechs lead the way with 135 litres per capita. Africans drink only an average eight litres per capita per year.
- Heineken announces $4.1 bn bid for Singapore brewer - Jul 21, 2012
- ABD launches new brandy in Kerala - Feb 02, 2012
- Global CO2 emissions continue to soar - Jul 20, 2012
- India again saw gold rush despite robust stock markets (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
- Foreign liquor bullish about prospects in Punjab - Sep 19, 2009
- Moscow set to curb drinking, have less liquor stores - May 06, 2012
- Cobra Beer looks for tie-ups to expand India business - Jan 23, 2011
- Moldova is world leader in alcohol consumption - Feb 19, 2011
- Australia's thirst for alcohol 'underestimated' - Nov 01, 2010
- E-commerce to make even bigger gains - Mar 28, 2012
- 40 percent of rural India lives on Rs.33 a day - Aug 01, 2012
- Indian Oil Corp records 30 percent profit drop in Q4 - May 30, 2011
- IOC reports quarterly net loss of Rs.7,485.55 crore - Nov 09, 2011
- India's per capita income rises to Rs.53,000 - Jan 31, 2012
- Liver ailments rise in Kerala - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: africans, alcoholic drink, asia, asian drinks, brazil, china world, czechs, daily mail, developing countries, global average, global figure, globe, half that amount, kirin, london, research arm, robust demand, russia, thirst