Chidambaram hints at stronger steps to curb inflationJune 20th, 2008 - 6:48 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi , June 20(ANI): Finance Minister P Chidambaram today said that the Central Government would take more measures to control inflation.
Talking to reporters at the north block here, he hinted at taking stronger measures on demand and supply sides after the official data disclosed an inflation rate of 11.05 per cent for the week ended June 7.
He attributed the high inflation rate to the rise in administered prices of petroleum products,
Refusing to divulge what measures the Government or the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) intended to take; Chidambaram said he had cautioned the Cabinet that inflation would touch double-digit, when fuel prices were increased on June 4.
He said that petrol, diesel and LPG amounted to 94 per cent of the rise in inflation for the week ended June 7.
On June 4, Petrol, diesel and LPG prices were increased by Rs 5 a litre, Rs 3 a litre and Rs 50 per cylinder, respectively. (ANI)
- Haryana waives VAT on kerosene - Jun 26, 2011
- Diesel, cooking gas and kerosene prices hiked (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- Hike likely in diesel, LPG, kerosene prices - Sep 05, 2012
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- Decision on fuel prices deferred, CCPA meet postponed - Sep 11, 2012
- Diesel price to go up if inflation comes down: Rangarajan - Oct 20, 2011
- Inflation to remain between 6.5-7.5 percent: Mukherjee (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- India's inflation soars to 7.55 percent in August (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- RBI raises repo rate by 25 bps, reverse repo by 50 bps - Jul 27, 2010
- Delhiites flay fuel price hike - Jun 25, 2011
- No deregulation of diesel, kerosene, LPG prices - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: bank of india, central government, demand and supply, diesel, finance minister, fuel prices, inflation rate, litre, lpg prices, measures, New Delhi, p chidambaram, petroleum products, rbi, reserve bank of india, rs 50