Chic outfits in bold avtars to dominate 2012January 1st, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 1 (IANS) While 2011 boasted of vintage dresses and graphic prints, the new year will see a resurgence of 1960s-inspired outfits, chic clothing and bolder prints with minimalistic approach, designers predict.
IANS takes a look on what will scorch the ramp and High Streets in the year just begun:
Return of the 1960s: Fashion will go down memory lane, courtesy designers Pria Kaataria Puri, Pam Mehta, Manish Malhotra, Anna Sui, Jill Stuart, and Donna Karan, who have redefined the 1960s style in a more glamorous way for the coming year. Graphic shapes, clean lines, Peter Pan collars, drop waist shift dresses, double-breasted coats, box plaids, florals and clutches will make a swinging resurgence in a modern way.
Plaids and tartans: Think of plaids, stripes, and nautical navy this new year as fashion designers say that the coming season will see tartan or plaid making a comeback in bold colours. Fashion houses like Burberry used beige, red and black tartan check on jackets, skirts, pants, bags and shoes. Other designers who used tartans were Vivienne Westwood, Paul Smith, Sonia Rykiel and Isabel Marant.
Chic minimalism: According to designer Nida Mahmood, the trend will take a step forward this year. Solid colours juxtaposed against each other on straightforward silhouettes symbolise this trend. Try to go minimalist and experience the power of simple outfits as sometimes less is more. Skirts, high waisted wide pants, and chic tops in earthy tones are some of the trends to look for.
Floor length: All the midis and minis can be kept at the back of the closet as length is key in the new season. All the dresses and skirts will go full length, be it skirts and dresses with fun belts.
Pajama party: The loose and loungy silhouettes will get a face lift this season. Slouchy pajamas paired with loose tops in matching or contrast prints would be a style statement. One can also try single-coloured print or floral prints. So it won’t be wrong to say that the pajamas have moved from the bedroom to the fashion runways thanks to designers like Kallol Datta, Rimzim Dadu, Rahul Mishra and Nida Mahmood.
Peplum: This would be the most influential silhouette of 2012. One can see all sorts of variations on skirts, dresses, jackets, trousers on Indian as well as international ramps. Scarlett Johansson, Sonam Kapoor and Deepika Padukone are some of the celebrities who are frequently seen sporting such attires.
Let the print talk: Prints have just got louder and bolder this season and will continue to shine this year as well. Be it sweet fruity ones to funky psychedelic prints, they are all-pervasive this season. Mixing prints is going to be another cool way of expression this season. Digital prints on saris, lehengas and other ensemble will also be in vogue.
Choker necklaces: Big, bold and chunky pieces will dominate the accessories market this year and jewellery will be all about classic pieces for the spring and natural pieces for the fall collection. Some of the “must have” pieces will be choker necklaces and big and bold rings with a mix of vintage and contemporary flair.
Satin shoes: From comfy flats, chunky heels, whimsical patterns, bright as well as dark colours, everything was seen on runway but what stole the limelight is satin and laced shoes especially promoted by Paris Hilton and Victoria Beckham. This will continue to dominate the new year.
They are very feminine and can be worn with both jeans or dresses. The colour palette of shoes vary from black, beige, grey, red, dark blue and metallic.
Accentuate your eyes: Highlighting eyes with pastel and bright colours will be in vogue as enhancing eyes played a major role in this season’s catwalks, nationally as well as internationally. Orange, purple and white are some of the popular colours. Flaunt it gracefully and let your eye do the talking.
(Nivedita Sharma can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Turn on unisex fashion this winter - Nov 24, 2011
- When fashion went boho and vintage (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 16, 2011
- Waistlines rose, beaded pieces ruled Indian fashion (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2010
- From Hollywood to Bollywood, tribal fashion gets modern makeover - Aug 19, 2012
- Accessorise or try a bikini sari when on holiday (With Images) - Apr 11, 2012
- A range of styles for your bridal attire - Oct 06, 2011
- Off with little black dress! Trousers are in - Jul 18, 2011
- Step up your style with splash of colours this monsoon (Lifestyle Feature) - Jul 15, 2012
- Retro to Hawaiian with a twist: Summer fashion for men - May 22, 2012
- Who says short girls can't flaunt gowns? (With Images) - Jun 06, 2012
- Summer corporate wear? Try Peter Pan collar or shirtdress (With Images) - Apr 20, 2012
- From films to fashion - Cannes rolls out red carpet for all (With images) - May 23, 2012
- Indian couture all about bridal wear: Manish Arora (With Image) - Aug 11, 2012
- Stilettos, gladiators, wedges ...for the well heeled! (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- Indian fashion in a great moment: Spanish designer (With Images) - Jan 08, 2012
Tags: avtars, chic clothing, coloured print, donna karan, double breasted, earthy tones, fashion houses, floral prints, graphic prints, graphic shapes, high streets, isabel marant, jill stuart, manish malhotra, pajama party, plaids stripes, sonia rykiel, style statement, vintage dresses, vivienne westwood