Chef’s Choice (To go with Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens)March 23rd, 2012 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Some exciting egg recipes:
Chef Saby - Sabyasachi Gorai - who was honoured with the Indian National Tourism Board’s Best Chef 2011 award by President Pratibha Patil this month recommends Egg Malvani Curry from the Konkan region of Maharashtra and Goa. “I just love the Egg Malwani curry,” Saby says.
EGG MALVANI CURRY - One of the popular styles of Malvani Egg Curry
Eggs 4 nos (hard boiled eggs)
Green chillies 2 nos (medium spicy)
Fresh coriander leaves 1/2 cup (coarsely chopped)
Garlic 4 nos
Ginger coarsely chopped
Onion 1 1/2 no ( chopped)
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
Fresh coconut 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder 1 1/2 tsp
Malvani masala 1 1/2 tbsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Dry red chillies 2 nos
Hing a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil 2tbsp + 3 tbsp
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan add chopped onions and saute till translucent. Now add grated fresh coconut. Saute till onions and coconut are light golden in colour. Turn off the flame and let it cool for some time.
2. In a blender add ginger, garlic, green chilli, coriander leaves and sauted onion and coconut and grind into fine paste.
3. Using the same pan, heat 3 tbsp of oil add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add hing and dry red chillies.
4. Add the fresh grounded paste and saute the masala till oil separates from the masala.
5. Add red chilli powder, malvani masala and saute for 5 minutes.
6. Add enough water to make a semi thick gravy or as preferred gravy consistency. Add salt and sprinkle garam masala.
7. Let it boil until oil is seen on the surface.
8. Cut the boiled eggs in half and add to the gravy.
9. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati and some slices of onion and a lemon wedge.
DEVILED STUFFED EGGS
12 hard-cooked eggs
1/3 c. finely chopped pickles or sweet relish
1/3 c. salad dressing
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp. salt
Remove egg shells. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove and mash egg yolks. Dice 1 egg white.
To make filling: In medium bowl, combine yolks, diced egg white, pickles, salad dressing, onion and salt.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon filling into each remaining egg white half. Garnish with half a pimento olive. Cover, refrigerate until serving time, at least for four hours.
- Two right royal recipes from an Indian princess (To go with IANS Book Review) - Jul 14, 2011
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Some fruity, flavoured summer drinks (To go with summer drinks story) - May 23, 2011
- Recipes by celebrity NRI chef Vikas Khanna (To go with: 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra) - May 08, 2012
- Vivid platters for Eid this year (With recipes) - Nov 06, 2011
- Dr Oz: For Those Turning 40 - Oct 18, 2011
- Feasting on Holi delicacies (Recipes) - Mar 06, 2012
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Ovens warm up, pans begin to sizzle in India's Christmas capital (With Recipes) - Dec 20, 2010
- Yummy Kannada cuisine at Dakshin food fest - Nov 02, 2009
- Rachael Ray: Shaun White, CoJo, and Pilgrim Sandwiches - Oct 10, 2011
- Roll Mexican 'roti' with Peruvian fish in Indian kitchen (Eating out with IANS) - Jun 22, 2010
- Rachael Ray: Extreme Couponing, Salma Hayek - Sep 21, 2011
- Slurp! There's a Moplah feast in town - Jun 24, 2009
- 10 quintessential cocktails for all occasions! - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: chapati, chilli powder, chopped onions, coriander leaves, crackle, egg recipes, garam, ginger garlic, gorai, gourmet kitchens, hard boiled eggs, hard cooked eggs, lemon wedge, national tourism, pinch salt, president pratibha patil, sweet relish, thick gravy, tourism board, tsp cumin seeds