Cheating is the norm, not exception, in menJanuary 9th, 2012 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 9 (IANS) A study has found men are always likely to cheat despite loving their partners and never wishing to leave them and suggests that society embrace more “sexually open relationships”.According to sociologist Eric Anderson, cheating gives the men the best of both worlds. And most of them who do still want to stay with their partner — they just want to have more sex on the side, the Daily Mail reported.
Monogamy has ostracised men from doing what they most want to do, says the American sociologist, who teaches at Britain’s University of Winchester.
In his book — The Monogamy Gap: Men, Love, and the Reality of Cheating — Anderson writes cheating is the norm, not the exception to it, and it’s high time that people start embracing “sexually open relationships that coexist without hierarchy or hegemony”.
He says the ones who don’t stray are actually setting themselves up for “socially-compelled sexual incarceration”.
For the study, Anderson surveyed 120 undergraduate men — both gay and straight. He found that 78 percent of those with partners cheated, “even though they said that they loved and intended to stay with their partner”.
He told the Huffington Post that men want to be emotionally monogamous, though their “body craves sex with other people somatically”.
To Anderson, it’s better for men to cheat and repent for it, since telling their partner that they want sex outside the relationship is a tried-and-true relationship-ender.
“When men cheat for recreational sex, not affairs, they do love their partners,” he said, adding : “If they didn’t, they would break up with them”.
- For young couples, monogamy is a 'complicated' concept - Jan 22, 2011
- Gay couples set sexual agreements to build trust, not for HIV protection - Jul 14, 2010
- Non-romantic sexual relationships risky - Apr 02, 2010
- Women more nostalgic than men about sex with ex - Sep 21, 2012
- Men attracted to older women: Sharon Stone - Jul 13, 2012
- Grim economy turns men to finding more sex partners - Oct 14, 2011
- A third of all Brit men have cheated on their partners - Mar 28, 2010
- Polygamous mice 'have more fertile offspring' - Feb 05, 2011
- Online hookups don't always lead to unsafe sex - May 24, 2011
- Cheryl Cole supports same-sex marriage - Jun 16, 2012
- Men say 'I love you' before women in anticipation of sex in relationship - Apr 26, 2011
- Kiss or cuddle is what people crave for rather than sex: Study - Jan 16, 2011
- Top 9 sex-related myths busted - Dec 10, 2010
- Casual hook-ups can turn into meaningful relationships: Study - Aug 22, 2010
- Men like wet kisses while women want to keep them long! - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,