Canadian with no legs climbs Africa’s highest peakJune 21st, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 21 (IANS) A 31-year-old Canadian has climbed Africa’s highest peak - the 19,341-feet-high Mount Kilimanjaro - despite having no legs.
Spencer West from Toronto used his hands to scale the mountain over seven gruelling days, The Sun reported Thursday. He used his wheelchair for just 20 percent of the tough ascent.
West, who underwent a double amputation at the age of five after being born with a genetic disorder, trained for a year before setting off on his mission June 12 with two friends.
“The moment the summit was within sight was incredible. The summit sign seemed almost like a mirage. We looked around and realised that, after seven gruelling days of relentless climbing, after 20,000 feet of our blood, sweat, tears and vomit we had actually made it,” West said.
“The bleeding fingers and blisters were all worth it,” he said.
“I set out to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro not only to redefine what’s possible for me, but to inspire others to overcome obstacles and challenges of their own, and to give back to communities, that need our help,” he said.
“Reaching the peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro was the most mentally and physically challenging thing I have ever done, but in doing so, it reinforced the powerful message behind believing in yourself, and believing in others,” he said.
- Mother of two becomes oldest Indian woman to climb Everest (with Image) - May 20, 2011
- Indian schoolboy rewrites history on the Himalayas - May 20, 2011
- Indian Everest dreams soar to record high in 2011 - Feb 04, 2011
- American schoolboy youngest to conquer Everest at 13 - May 22, 2010
- Delhi teen sets out to be king of Himalayas - Jul 25, 2011
- Andhra climber summits Africa's highest mountain - Nov 12, 2010
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- Airforce mountaineers set off on Mission Tricolour - Aug 06, 2010
- Pune girl scales Europe's highest peak, Mt. Elbrus - Apr 26, 2010
- California Teen Successfully Climbs Mount Everest - May 24, 2010
- Kilimanjaro climbers 'putting their health at risk' - Oct 19, 2010
- 11-yr-old Florida boy conquers Mt Kilimanjaro - Apr 01, 2011
- Indian Army women's team to again attempt Mt. Everest (Lead, superseding prervious story) - Mar 12, 2012
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
- First woman from India's northeast conquers Everest - May 11, 2011
Tags: amputation, ascent, bleeding fingers, blisters, blood sweat tears, challenges, genetic disorder, gruelling, june 21, legs, london, mirage, mount kilimanjaro, mt kilimanjaro, obstacles, spencer, summit, toronto, two friends, wheelchair