Calvin Klein Cologne Helps Attract JaguarsJune 14th, 2010 - 7:15 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
June 14, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Scientists are luring jaguars in the jungles of Guatemala with the help of a scent that is meant usually meant to lure women.
The Calvin Klein Obsession is a perfume that has been found to be extremely attractive to wild jaguars who were observed pawing, sniffing and rubbing the objects that were laden with the scent. The scent will help preserve the Jaguar population in Guatemala’s Maya Biosphere Reserve, according to researchers.
The scientists tried a number of perfumes before settling on the designer’s Obsession range. The method used by the researches is a non-invasive one that attracts the jaguars naturally to the concealed camera traps.
The experiment was conducted by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) in the Bronx Zoo in New York. The practice was continued in Guatemala later to monitor the big cats and understand their mating rituals. According to the researches the Calvin Klein Obsession perfume helped hold the animals in one place for longer periods which in turn helped in better observation.
The biologists behind the discovery and its implementation have said that the advantage provided by the perfumes will also help understand the number of jaguars living an area so that the population can be controlled and monitored.
The observation will also help provide accurate data to the public and to the government to facilitate conservation of the beautiful animals. The researchers are planning to implement the technique to observe, monitor and preserve the big cat population in countries like Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador in the coming years.
It will be interesting to note whether the sale of the product will be impacted by the bizarre discovery.
- Calvin Klein cologne attracts jaguars, pumas and other wildlife - Jun 09, 2010
- Calvin Klein Fragrance Traps Jaguars - Jun 14, 2010
- Scientists use Calvin Klein cologne to lure jaguars - Jun 14, 2010
- Top 10 sexiest science stories of 2010 - Dec 08, 2010
- Highways through Indian tiger reserves will destroy habitat - Apr 16, 2012
- Tigers never changed much even in two million years? - Dec 03, 2011
- Sea bird's deep diving feat stuns researchers - Aug 01, 2012
- Seven cat species captured on camera in Indian rain forest - Mar 13, 2010
- Plant gene can replace whale compound in perfumes - Apr 05, 2012
- Last of tigers in six percent of habitat - Sep 15, 2010
- Penguins rally from brink of extinction - Feb 27, 2012
- Karl Lagerfeld's cat launches her own Twitter account - Jun 07, 2012
- Cameras keep eye on snow leopards in Spiti Valley - Dec 29, 2010
- New way to track tigers in the wild to ensure survival - Nov 19, 2010
- Perfume fair organized in Delhi - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: accurate data, big cat, big cats, biologists, bronx zoo, calvin klein, calvin klein cologne, calvin klein obsession, cat population, jaguars, jungles, kar, mating rituals, maya biosphere reserve, meena, obsession perfume, perfumes, researches, wildlife conservation society, wildlife conservation society wcs