Buy parking space before car in ShanghaiMay 6th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 6 (IANS) To tackle the rising menace of parking, the authorities in China’s Shanghai city are going to ban residents from buying cars in future if they failed to secure a parking space in advance.
According to the Shanghai police, the new policy will require people to prove to the government that “they have already acquired a car space” to purchase a vehicle, Shanghai Daily reported.
It means that potential car buyers would have to rent or buy a car park space first, as a pre-condition to buy a vehicle.
Details and the timetable for the new rule are still being discussed. The government hopes to use the new strategy to control the city’s deteriorating parking lot shortage.
According to traffic police, in some cities abroad between 5 to 10 percent of urban parking capacity comes from dedicated garage buildings, which offer big parking capacity. But in Shanghai, the percentage is only one percent, with the rest supported by garages inside shopping malls and office buildings and legal street-side parking zones.
Local authorities said they would relieve the shortfall by building more space-efficient garages inside local neighbourhoods.
The local government says it relies on the monthly car plate auction to help control the number of automobiles on local roads. But despite skyrocketing plate prices, the number of locally registered cars continues to soar, reaching about two million at present.
- Licence plates costlier than cars in China - Feb 20, 2012
- Cuba reforms spur 11,000 real estate, auto deals - Apr 27, 2012
- Delhi gets another automated multi-level parking - Jun 12, 2012
- Car exhaust fumes kill Chinese couple - Aug 08, 2011
- Blast in garage kills nine in China - Apr 16, 2012
- Delhi gets first automated multilevel car park - Nov 10, 2011
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Illegal explosives caused China building collapse - Apr 16, 2012
- Electric mobility an alternative in big cities: McKinsey - Jan 20, 2010
- Man held for killing two while 'sleep-driving' - Feb 07, 2012
- Beijing to curb cars in city through number plates - Dec 23, 2010
- Renault unveils new variant of Fluence sedan - Apr 03, 2012
- In China, growing discontent over car restrictions - Aug 15, 2012
- Mexican armoured-car industry grows 10 percent in 2011 - Dec 10, 2011
- The hotel that offers guests their favourite cars as beds to sleep on - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: beijing, buying cars, car buyers, car park, car plate, car space, garages, local authorities, local government, new strategy, office buildings, park space, parking lot, parking space, shanghai city, shopping malls, shortfall, traffic police, two million, vehicle details