Business, sports, tarot on book shelf (IANS Books This Week)October 6th, 2011 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 6 (IANS) The books on the shelf this week are serious, informative and fun.
1. “Uncommon Ground: Dialogues With Business and Social Leaders”; Written by Rohini Nilekani; Published by Penguin India; Priced at Rs.499
The book brings together titans of the industry and leaders of civil society to explore eight themes that are highly relevant to our future development.
Based on Nilekani’s 2008 show on NDTV, the conversations explore the middle ground between the ideological divisions that often polarise business and voluntary sectors, which are pushed back further because of their shrinking access to the natural resources on which they now depend.
2. “A Shot at History: My Obsessive Journey to Olympic Gold”; Written by Abhinav Bindra; Published by Harper Collins India; Priced at Rs.399
Abhinav Bindra once shot 100 out of 100 in practice six times in a row and walked out of the range unhappy. He is a perfectionist who once added rubber from Ferrari tyres to his shoe soles because he thought it would help. He would wake up at 3 a.m. to practice at his range at home if an idea suddenly struck him.
His victory was not just a personal triumph; it was a gift to his nation, a breaking down of a sporting barrier that had stood for a century. In ranges, on fields, in arenas, Indian athletes now own a new belief: they wear the knowledge that no challenge is beyond them. The shooter writes about his rigour and journey to get to the top.
3. “Revolution 2020: Love, Corruption, Ambition”, Written by Chetan Bhagat; Published by Rupa & Co; Priced at Rs.140
The novel addresses the hot topic of corruption, a theme that resonates loudly in India in the aftermath of the mass anti-corruption protests led by social activist Anna Hazare. The novel is about love, corruption and ambition.
It is about two intelligent friends, Gopal and Raghav, who live in Varanasi. Both love the same girl Aarti. Both friends are ambitious, but success seems to elude them as the society they live in benefits the corrupt. Gopal gives in, while Raghav fights it.
4. “The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life’s Most Difficult Problems”; Written by Stephen R. Covey; Published by Simon & Schuster (India), Priced at Rs.799
In any conflict, “The First Alternative” is my way, and the “Second Alternative” is your way. The fight always boils down to whose way is better. The book represents a new way of thinking that will be “The Third Alternative” which is a departure from material on conflict resolution.
No one has to give up anything and everyone wins a better place than either had envisioned. The fight always boils down to a question of whose way is better.
5. “Experiencing Tarot: A Book of True Stories and Healing”; Written by Roopa Patel; Published by Harper Collins India; Priced at Rs.799
The book, which is the first of its kind by an Indian author, is the result of many years of experience in the field of Tarot reading and exploration in the veracity of the new age sciences. It expounds the inter-connectedness of the universe and esoteric sciences. It is aimed at clearing the cloud around Tarot and suggests ways of alternative healing.
There are some real life stories which have great human interest. The book also includes the meaning of cards which are integral to any book on Tarot. It looks at relationship between Tarot and other new age sciences like astrology, numerology, I-Ching, rune, kabala and the chakras and how all these sciences are inter-connected.
- Steve Jobs' biography continues stint on top (IANS Books) - Jan 14, 2012
- Vinod Mehta, Chetan Bhagat lead booklist (IANS Books) - Nov 24, 2011
- Vinod Mehta, Chetan Bhagat top bestsellers (IANS Books) - Dec 01, 2011
- Kalam's 'Turning Points' retains top spot on bestsellers list (IANS Books) - Jul 21, 2012
- Shashi Tharoor's 'Pax Indica' at top spot (IANS Books) - Sep 01, 2012
- Kalam's 'Turning Points' retains top spot (IANS Books) - Jul 28, 2012
- Diplomatic travails, airlines & odd balls on bookshelf (IANS Books this Week) - May 26, 2012
- Erotica, healing, Ruskin Bond on book cart (IANS Books This Week) - Dec 08, 2011
- Vinod Mehta gets to top with 'Lucknow Boy' (IANS Books) - Nov 17, 2011
- Vinod Mehta, Chetan Bhagat's books rule again (IANS Books) - Dec 24, 2011
- Jeffrey Archer atop bestseller list again (IANS Books) - Apr 07, 2011
- Jeffrey Archer rules fiction charts (IANS Books) - Mar 31, 2011
- Jeffery Archer is still reigning fiction king (IANS Books) - Mar 24, 2011
- Steve Jobs' biography bestseller (IANS Books) - Dec 31, 2011
- Kalam's 'Turning Points' still reigns on top (IANS Books) - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: abhinav bindra, book shelf, chetan bhagat, gopal, harper collins, hot topic, indian athletes, ndtv, olympic gold, perfectionist, personal triumph, raghav, rigour, rupa, shoe soles, six times, social activist, social leaders, uncommon ground, voluntary sectors