Bunnies, birds and other Easter egg makeovers! (With Images)April 23rd, 2011 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 23 (IANS) The classic Easter egg - oblong, coloured, sugar-coated symbol of new life - has got an innovative makeover this year! Bakers and chocolatiers have introduced heart and parrot-shaped eggs, as well as decorated the classic oval egg with innovative themes like ‘Angry Birds’, inspired by a popular video game.
Mumbai-based baker Rebecca Vaz says she is fond of offering Easter eggs in new themes every year.
“This year the sales of Easter eggs have been great. We don’t do regular stuff, we do themes! Last year we had themes like sunshine, chatterbox, Little Miss and Mr. Men eggs, based on the popular series of children’s books. And this year it is the ‘Angry Birds’,” said Vaz, owner of The Baking Tray bakery in Santa Cruz, Mumbai.
Vaz’s special Easter eggs cost Rs.260 per 100 gm, but she says the rush for the traditional delicacy has been so good that she had to turn down a few orders.
“The response has been terrific. The orders came in great numbers but because of lack of time we couldn’t take many. Also, it takes a lot of patience to create the special eggs because each part of the detailed figure, including the eyes and beaks, is handcrafted,” she told IANS.
In Ghaziabad, Delhi’s suburb in Uttar Pradesh, too, demand is high for stylised Easter eggs, which will come in use Sunday when Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ after his crucifixion on Good Friday.
“Easter symbolises the arrival of spring like easter eggs, which denote a new life. We have made many new designs of Easter eggs this year, like bunnies, carrots and parrots,” said Ashok Nagar, at Bikanervala in Ghaziabad.
“The most sought after design this year is bunnies - children are loving it! Overall, the sales have been good, and have given us a 20 percent profit approximately,” he added.
The capital’s famous bakery Wenger’s too is capitalising on the festival with bunny, hen and fish-shaped eggs.
“The sales have reached sky high this time! Our stock of Easter eggs is completely sold out. We priced them at Rs.30-Rs.1,000,” said the manager at Wenger’s pastry shop, which has been in the business for over 75 years.
South Delhi’s Maxim’s bakery said it had received many orders.
“We have been making Easter eggs for about 25 years now and like every year, the sales have been really good. We are attending 40-50 customers a day, and even though many people buy the classic shape, we have made it in other shapes, like hearts, and have got a good response,” Maxim’s cashier Girish Kumar said.
Some pastry shop owners are cashing in on the occasion with special offers.
“We have introduced a scheme where with the purchase of one egg, you get the second egg at a 30 percent discount. Rabbit-shaped eggs are attracting the children the most at our shop. But since the process of making it is very difficult…we made just 10-15 pieces,” said Raj Gupta, owner of a small pastry shop in Ghaziabad.
It is the first time Gupta has introduced the concept of Easter eggs at his shop, but says he will continue doing so next year as well thanks to the favourable response.
- Apple in toffee syrup or marshmallows? Take your Easter pick - Apr 05, 2012
- Easter with largest egg weighing over a ton - Apr 15, 2012
- With prayers, feasts, Delhi celebrates Easter - Apr 08, 2012
- Move over mithai, cookies are here to sweeten Diwali - Nov 03, 2010
- Italian mafia 'pastry extortion ring' busted - Feb 23, 2012
- Easter egg prices soar, but fervour spreads in Goa - Apr 23, 2011
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- From humble loaf to slice of multi-grain joy (With Images) - Mar 11, 2011
- Cornish pasty weighing nearly a ton is world's biggest - Aug 21, 2010
- Eid shopping reaches fever pitch in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2012
- Will pricey cakes eat into Christmas festivities? - Dec 23, 2011
- World's oldest Easter hot cross bun smells fresh even today! - Apr 02, 2010
- With marzipan and cake, Mumbai celebrates Easter - Apr 24, 2011
- Not just plum, Christmas has more flavours this season (With Recipes) - Dec 22, 2010
- Good Friday observed with prayers and fast - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,