Buddhist relics to be housed in Orissa museumApril 25th, 2011 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 25 (IANS) Buddhist relics found during an excavation at Lalitgiri in Orissa will be housed in a museum, the union ministry of culture said Monday.
At present, the relic caskets are in the safe custody of the superintending archaeologist, Bhubaneswar circle, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), a statement issued by the ministry said.
A site has been inspected and a detailed drawing (design) of the proposed museum building is being prepared by the Bhubaneswar circle, ASI.
The excavated Buddhist site at Lalitgiri was notified as centrally protected in 1937.
The site was extensively excavated by the ASI 1985-92. The remains of a massive stupa, including relic caskets consisting four containers made of khondalite, steatite, silver and gold with corporal remains of the Buddha have been recovered during the excavation, besides other important structure and archaeological remains.
The relic caskets containing the bone relics would be housed and displayed for the public under adequate security and surveillance, the statement said.
- Proposed museum to house Lord Buddha's bone relics: Kumari Selja - Mar 08, 2011
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics - Feb 11, 2012
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Dalai Lama to visit Kashmir excavation site - Nov 14, 2011
- ASI to excavates ruins near Vikramshila University - Mar 21, 2012
- (After 1)Eighth-century Bihar university set for conservation - Nov 02, 2011
- Like Nalanda, Vikramshila may rise from ruins - Jan 24, 2012
- Buddha's home Kapilavastu lies in utter neglect - Feb 17, 2011
- Dabaoen Temple's miniature stupa may hold Buddha's remains - Jun 13, 2010
- Buddha's home Kapilavastu lies in dire neglect (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Buddha relics unearthed in J-K - Apr 21, 2010
- 100,000-yr-old fossilized teeth of cavemen found in Central China - Nov 27, 2010
- Sri Lankans view Buddhist relics from Pakistan - Jun 21, 2011
- Gupta empire era sites restored in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: adequate security, archaeological survey of india, buddha, buddhist, caskets, containers, corporal, drawing, excavation, ministry of culture, New Delhi, orissa, proposed museum, relic, relics, silver and gold, stupa, surveillance, union ministry